We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seaweed first week in August ?

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Level Contributor
106 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Seaweed first week in August ?

Those of you that have gone to Fort Walton/Destin the first week in August How bad is the seaweed normally ?

Ohio
Level Contributor
729 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seaweed first week in August ?

The thing about seaweed and June grass is that no one can predict when and where it occurs and for how long it hangs around. It may appear one day and be gone the next or may be on one beach but not 1/4 mile away.

Euless, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Seaweed first week in August ?

I've heard the same thing...just depends. We are going next year in August!

Middletown
Level Contributor
176 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seaweed first week in August ?

We went last August 9th thru 19th. We stayed A few days at Holiday Inn on the beach and the sand and water was amazing. This was our first trip there and was on a whim. There is a travel place before bridge - I think a chamber of commerce place and they found us a condo 2 br on okaloosa island on the far end by military area. The condo was huge and beautiful and much less than the hotel. All excited, we went to the beach there and yuck green and brown stuff was everywhere and smelled awful. My little one cried. He was 9. Absolutely refused to get in. We walked about 1/2 mile and no change. Packed up each day and drove to parking area by Pompano Joes and returned to clear water and white sand. The beach there was amazing. Hope it still is.

Fort Smith, Arkansas
Level Contributor
106 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seaweed first week in August ?

Thanks everyone

gacathy
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Seaweed first week in August ?

We went the first week in August last year and there was lots of seaweed except for two days. I think you can never tell when you go in the summer. We went the first week in July this year and the water was clear all week.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seaweed first week in August ?

We were just there last week and there was a TON of seaweed. The locals that I talked to said they'd never seen it this bad before and said it had been bad since June. Hopefully it will clear up for you. It was really crazy how much seaweed there was everywhere.

7. Re: Seaweed first week in August ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2013, 10:16