We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report Aug 20-27

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
269 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
trip report Aug 20-27

A group of 13 of us visited Destin for my husband's cousin's wedding. We had a wonderful week - I can't wait to go back. My husband and I mostly travel to Mexico for vacation and I have never been that impressed with Florida in general. Well, I had never been to Destin! The crystal clear blue water, the white sand beaches, and the wonderful seafood will be drawing us back soon!

We rented a house call Luna Mermaid in Crystal Beach, about 2 blocks from the beach. It was a 7 bedroom, 6 bath home - this was including a guest house with 3 bed/bath. There was also a private pool. I think we got a great price for the space - about 2100 for the week. There was plenty of space for everyone. The rental management service was very helpful in answering any questions we had prior to arriving. She was also helpful with some issues that arose. The grill was filthy, and that was quickly replaced, although with a much smaller one. There was also a huge flood in the master bath (the only actual tub on the property which we needed for the babies). This was "fixed" but leaked again the next day. There also could have been more, and better, towels, as well as bath mats and pillow cases for the extra pillows. All in all, we were very happy with this rental.

I have never rented a condo while on vacation and I did like it. Walmart was close and had everything we needed.

We visited a few restaurants - Pompano Joes, Dewey Destin, 790 on the Gulf, Gilligans, Sarah K's, and AJ's. I have reviews of them all pending. 790 was terrible, the service at Dewey was strange (not in a good way), but the food was good. Loved Pompano Joes. Gilligans was "OK". Probably wouldn't return, only because there are so many options. AJ's was great for night time entertainment - food was fine. Sarah K's crab cakes were as good as I heard!

We spent most of the days at the beach and pool. The water was clear, no "june grass" that I had heard about. The tides were strong about half of the days.

We walked along Harbor Walk a few days and that was fun.

We rented a pontoon for 5 hours from Blue Pontoon. Highly recommended! Great service, awesome boats. If you are member of the Elk's Lodge and have your card (we did!), you get 10% off . One of the highlights of our trip!

The other highlight were the pontoons that the bridal party rented for a party at Crab Island. The pontoons from Luther's were no where near as nice as Blue Pontoon's. But they ran fine - and any time on the water is a great time!

The wedding was held at Destin Bay House, near McGuires. It was a beautiful space. Overlooking the bay. It had indoor and outdoor space which was much appreciated! We have some great pics from the photo booth they couple rented.

All in all, we had a wonderful trip. I am already thinking about our next trip!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report Aug 20-27

You must return again soon. Destin is much more fun than Mexico. I enjoyed your TR. Good luck and return soon.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,906 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report Aug 20-27

Good report- thanks for posting helpful details. Be sure to check out 30A next time you visit.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,502 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report Aug 20-27

790 gets mixed reviews. When we ate there in June the food was very good but our waitress left and never returned. I mean never. We finally got the eye of another waiter and asked for our check. I wish it would be consistent but I think a lot depends on the summer workers.

Chicago
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip report Aug 20-27

Thank you for the report.

I'd like to ask how much it was to rent the pontoon. This is something our group may want to consider in October.

5. Re: trip report Aug 20-27

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2013, 10:16