We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good cooking! Charter boat catch

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,185 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Good cooking! Charter boat catch

Back in April the family men took an all day charter and got their fill of fish, particularly mackerel. Unfortunately, the word we got from a few people (and online) was that mackerel was a lousy eating fish--oily, fishy etc. Well, I wasn't too happy about that but I started searching for recipes, as we had several meals worth. I love fish, but can't stand salmon and I feared it would be like that.

The good news is, it's outstanding!! Actually we liked it more than snapper or grouper. I found a simple recipe (it's actually Korean) where all you do is rub it with Kosher salt, some olive oil and either grill it (which we did) or dust it with flour and pan fry it. We did remove the skin, before eating, but the flavor and texture were excellent.

So, don't believe what "everybody" tells you. They sure can be wrong.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good cooking! Charter boat catch

Sounds good Tundra_Gal........I'm always looking for good fish recipes......

by the way, give salmon another try........I bet you had farmed salmon that is widely available in grocery stores in the lower 48.....next time make sure you get Wild Salmon, sockeye is the best.....just no comparison !

I remove the skin on it, too.....

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,185 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good cooking! Charter boat catch

I've tried all kinds of salmon. Fresh from Lake Michigan, coho and king, restaurant salmon, salmon made with recipes that guaranteed that the fish WOULDN'T taste like salmon, smoked, etc. Every time someone would say, "no you'll like THIS salmon." Nope, don't like it.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good cooking! Charter boat catch

so sorry, but hey more for us bears who love it !

I have a freezer full of salmon, halibut and shrimp harvested from out local waters.....so I truly appreciate your simple recipe.....

One of my favorite and easiest for any fish is just to brown up the fillets in olive oil, with Montreal pepper seasoning......set aside and keep warm while you squeeze a clove of garlic into the pan to quickly cook and pour over the fish.......

Ahhh, omega 3 never tasted so good !!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,185 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good cooking! Charter boat catch

O0h, gotta save this one. Thanks.!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
438 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good cooking! Charter boat catch

This sounds good. Salmon is too rich and wild tasting for me also - don't feel bad. My husband does an annual salmon fishing trip out of Kenosha and sorry but I hate when he brings it home. I've tried all kinds of salmon made many ways and I just don't like it either!

Colmar, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,775 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good cooking! Charter boat catch

Kosher salt is an ideal kitchen staple. If a little doesn't work, try a little more. LOL

Here's another recipe:

Warm some butter in a saute pan, just enough to melt it. Throw in about three smashed garlic cloves. Push to the back burner to a low simmer; don't let it burn.

Grate one whole lime or lemon for zest.

Kosher salt and course ground black pepper as a rub on the salmon, both sides, how much or how little is up to you. Spray the bottom of an oven cooking dish with Pam or your brand of liking. Sprinkle with the juice of the lime or lemon on both sides, divide up the zest, both sides, skin side down. Remove the garlic from the butter and drizzle over the salmon; use your fingers, rub it all in.

425, 30 to 35 minutes depending on thickness and individual oven.

Enjoy.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good cooking! Charter boat catch

Yummo John !

I am taking note of all these recipes for our trip to Florida in November......we are renting a house with its own dock on a river......hopefully we'll catch something for dinner !

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,601 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good cooking! Charter boat catch

mombear - hard to beat the halibut from your state.

Colmar, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,775 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good cooking! Charter boat catch

Correction to the above because I confused two recipes. Instead of the salt and pepper, use dill. Not that the S & P would be bad.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,185 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good cooking! Charter boat catch

Oh gee John, with THAT recipe correction that be one dish I'd really ignore. Don't like dill or salmon. But I'll sure take the S&P version and put it on mackerel.