We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lost in Space-So Many Choices! Destin?

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
616 reviews
Save Topic
Lost in Space-So Many Choices! Destin?

Very young couple in our sixties wanting to spend a couple weeks on the panhandle coast in early February 2014 having just retired and wandering across the country. Destin seems like a nice stopping point...love hiking, nature, quaint towns, local color, nice bars, music but do not want to be in the middle of spring break scene. Hoping to find a place where we did not have to eat out every single meal if we did not feel like it. First, is Destin in early February free of the college crowd or where can we be fairly sure we will miss this and secondly, any recommendations as to accommodations? We are trying to decide between VRBO and nice hotel or......? Thanks so much!

ZB

Colmar, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,775 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lost in Space-So Many Choices! Destin?

No spring breakers at that time.

You should be able to find many good monthly deals on VRBO for January and February. If you find something to your liking and their calendar is not full, you may be able to negotiate a lower fee for the less-than-month time you wish to spend there. I think there is less chance that a hotel would negotiate this way. The condo/house also gives you the kitchen amenities you are looking for; nearly all come well equipped.

Edited: 17 March 2013, 16:23
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lost in Space-So Many Choices! Destin?

Hi ZB. We are going to Florida in april and found a great house on the beach at Englewood Beach via VRBO. Not a problem to reserve and we negotiated a discount . Still very expensive though. We found out that in that area high season is to mid april/may. We also are a ''young'' couple and retired. First going on a cruise from Ft Lauderdale and an extra week for Key West and around. Key West really is very expensive but we just wing it there. We have been to Fl panhandle before and it's fantastic!. Btw, we are flying from...Dusseldorf ;)

Florida
Level Contributor
139 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lost in Space-So Many Choices! Destin?

Yes, the entire panhandle is completely free of Spring Breakers in early February. The college kids don't start arriving until early to mid march.

When I'm looking for accommodations, if it's just one or two nights I look at hotels. If it's any longer, I look at VRBO. VRBO is less organized than the online hotel sites, but you get more for your money. Also vacation rentals usually come with full kitchens so it makes eating in more of an option.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
616 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lost in Space-So Many Choices! Destin?

Tet, pretty funny! You are everywhere. We love Key West. Let me know if we can help with any information. This is our first timeon the Panhandle so we are not sure what to expect. We wanted to stay in Pensacola but could not find any nice placeson VRBO or elsewhere. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions...we are trying on VRBO but there are 828 hits! Yikes. Never having been there we are going through the task of narrowing down the choices.

ZB

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lost in Space-So Many Choices! Destin?

We have been to Key West before but now decided to give it more time instead the one night we spent there. Probably staying away from Key West like in Marathon that's just on a one hour drive. And you are right ZB. I strolled trhough a zillion of VRBO properties before deciding. There just are too many choices . Just an idea. We have stayed at Gulf Shores Alabama in a condo. Very good beaches also and lots of options and maybe better rates. Worth to check them out imo.

Tet

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
616 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lost in Space-So Many Choices! Destin?

Thanks Tet ! Will do.

ZB

georgia
Level Contributor
490 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lost in Space-So Many Choices! Destin?

Look on vrbo at the beaches of south walton instead of destin, 30a area is more into what you are looking for...on vrbo, use the filters and that will filter out all the properties you do not want...it will not take that long, for example, this popped up doing a quick search, it is a 1 bedroom at seacrest beach...www.vrbo.com/340753

United States
Level Contributor
6,299 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lost in Space-So Many Choices! Destin?

We were in Destin the whole month of February, and while everything said so far, is true, I didn't see where anyone mentioned the weather. It was cold! Granted, it was a lot warmer than Chicago in February, but I still wore my winter sweaters and long pants. We usually go farther south in the winter, but chose Destin because it is a much shorter drive, and about one third the cost.

All in all, we had a great time though, because Destin is a great place to be on vacation. Try looking on vrbo for houses in the Miramar Beach area, Crystal Beach area, or Frangista Beach. Also, try vacation rental places. The problem we found was that owners want 2-3 month renters if they can get them. If they don't get them, they open their places up to others later in the year. Lots of great restaurants, big outlet mall, happy hours, and definitely no spring breakers!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lost in Space-So Many Choices! Destin?

If what you're looking for is "hiking, nature, quaint towns, local color, nice bars, music" I also would check South Walton. It tends to get lumped into the Destin category, but it has a different flavor than Destin. When I hear quaint towns and the panhandle, I think of Rosemary Beach, Seaside, Grayton Beach, and Seagrove Beach.

10. Re: Lost in Space-So Many Choices! Destin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 September 2013, 20:05