We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panama City Beach or Destin Memorial Weekend

Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Panama City Beach or Destin Memorial Weekend

So I know this is asked a lot and yes I did google search sounds like Destin is more upscale but spread out while PCB is crowded and cheaper. So my question is I would like to take my family of 3 me and the misses are 30 while our daughter is 12 to a nice beach side resort, hotel, condo during memorial weekend. We are looking for water activities, safe environment, not outrageously crowded beaches and good sea food. Which city and where should we stay at under $200 a night? Thanks

mississippi
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Panama City Beach or Destin Memorial Weekend

What time of the year are you looking at? Budget will determine a lot.

Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Panama City Beach or Destin Memorial Weekend

Looking at memorial weekend. Thanks

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
464 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Panama City Beach or Destin Memorial Weekend

Memorial weekend is pretty busy in Destin. Beaches and traffic will be very crowded. Suggestion would be check into smaller condo buildings - no more than 4 stories. Beach will be alot less crowded. I'm usually down there for Memorial weekend. I always make sure I eat in our condo for those three days. Otherwise you could be sitting in traffic for at least an hour...going no farther than a couple miles. I image PC is crazy busy too. No avoiding it really.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Panama City Beach or Destin Memorial Weekend

It might also be worth checking out the Perdido Beach Resort in Orange Beach, Alabama. This is a great full service resort hotel on a beautiful section of beach, but it is not nearly as crowded as Destin or Panama City. Also take a look at the Hilton at Sandestin - also a great hotel, but, again, very crowded and may be out of your price range.

Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Panama City Beach or Destin Memorial Weekend

Thank you everyone for your input I appreciate it.

Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Panama City Beach or Destin Memorial Weekend

Would henderson state park be just as crowded? Also with traffic being bad is there a better alternative to travel? Or is there a hotel or area I could stay in within walking distance to a beach and a decent restaurant area or are they spread out too far?

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Panama City Beach or Destin Memorial Weekend

You might want to check out the Sandestin resort - they have a shuttle and have beach, shopping and restaurants all on site.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Panama City Beach or Destin Memorial Weekend

Stay at Shores of Panama in PCB. They have it all. A safe resort with all rooms looking down at pool so you can see the kids. Plus its right on beach. Most 1 bedrooms have a bunk with private bath so you and Yours can also have some private time in your own master suite. This is a highend property.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Panama City Beach or Destin Memorial Weekend

Check the west end of Panama City Beach, they have town houses, condos, etc. It is usually less crowded and not quite as expensive as some of the others. Am down there every year for the week of Memorial Day and the one after and love it! We rent a house off 30A in South Walton in Seagrove. Walking distance to Seaside and the beach. Publix close by.

check out vrbo.com or trip advisor for houses.

Thomaston
Destination Expert
for Panama City Beach
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Panama City Beach or Destin Memorial Weekend

We stayed at Shores of Panama last memorial day and it was an experience we would not repeat. Crazy busy with crazy people that were just throwing beer cans into the ocean instead of the many garbage receptacles available. Walking on the beach in the morning was hard because you had to step over all the trash and beer cans. They had karoke by the pool so you couldn't relax. First couple of people were good then the drunks took over. Don't get me wrong. I love Panama City Beach and we stay there often. If you choose to stay there during Memorial Day, try to get a condo on the far east end or the far west. It will be much quieter. Have never been to Destin during Memorial Day, but imagine it will be pretty busy. Have fun wherever you wind up.