We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tropical storm? Hurricane?

U.S.
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
tropical storm? Hurricane?

This happened to us the first part of our trip last year with tropical storm Deb I think it was called so we thought going earlier in June would help. Is there something brewing out in the ocean. We are due in Destin for a week this Friday.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tropical storm? Hurricane?

There is a Invest (stands for Investigation) down around southern Florida right now. They are giving it a 60% chance of turning into a tropical depression.

wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at201391_…

This is why we are experiencing the rip tides - beautiful day - but the waves are rolling in.

Something to keep an eye on but they don't expect too much out of it beside rain and wind. They are expecting it to be in North Florida tomorrow - looking farther east of us.

U.S.
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tropical storm? Hurricane?

I remember driving down to Florida last year keeping an eye on things and getting sooooo nervous. Hope this doesn't repeat last year!

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,486 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tropical storm? Hurricane?

Tropical Storm Andrea has formed in the gulf.

U.S.
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tropical storm? Hurricane?

Argggggggg

Destin, FL
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
2,927 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tropical storm? Hurricane?

Going east of us..... (said with confidence!)

Dallas, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: tropical storm? Hurricane?

I am about to leave from Dallas, should I change plans because of the hurricane?

Thank you

Edited: 06 June 2013, 02:30
Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,438 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tropical storm? Hurricane?

Andrea isn't expected to become a hurricane (the chance is 5% or less) and the storm's winds are expected to pass mostly east of Destin. At present, Destin is under a high surf advisory. The tropical storm warning is farther east, including Panama City south to Charlotte Harbor.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/tlh/

I'd cancel a trip to Cedar Key or the coast south of Tallahassee, but not as far west as Destin.

Destin
Level Contributor
297 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: tropical storm? Hurricane?

Mike, I would not cancel. It is highly unlikely that we will see much other than wind (maybe not even much rain). It is predicted to go east of us.

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,277 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tropical storm? Hurricane?

A hurricane is just a nuisance. It begins by begging eyeballs to the Weather Channel. It end with sighs of relief as a non-issue OR adds up to a week without power and cleaning the debris up out of your yard.

Backyard propane BBQ is great as the freezer evicts it's tenants. We gain on our book piles...

Our last was Dennis in 2005 which struck the panhandle on July 10. Ivan had hit less than 11 months earlier on Sept. 16, 2004. And of course Katrina was actually tracking right for our area before heading west in Aug 2005.

...anyway the Non-Hurricane annual party has already convened. No worries. Weather is as weather does.

U.S.
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tropical storm? Hurricane?

Yeah looks like we have nothing to worry about! Whew!