We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destin Experts ~ Opinions Please

Texas
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Destin Experts ~ Opinions Please

Hello, I need opinions from those who frequent Destin area on resorts. I have read and read, and I'm still confused as to the best area and better resorts. It will be my husband and I with 3 grandchildren, ages 11, 9, 7. I would hate to drive that far and get to our condo and it be dirty and old! I'm fussy about where I sleep:) I haven't been to the area in 20 years, so I am clueless. We have been traveling to Playa area in Mexico for 15 years, but we want to carry our grandchildren on a little vacation. My daughter started a new job and won't be able to take them anywhere this summer. I know the beaches in the Ft. Walton/Destin area are beautiful. The kids have only been to Texas beaches, so they are in for a real surprise! I know the kids will want to swim in pool also. I appreciate any help, and if you have any other recommendations, just say so! These are the condos I have been leaning toward:

Destin Gulfgate Condos

Sterling Sands Condos

Destin West Condos

Crescent Condos

Thanks so much for your time.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Destin Experts ~ Opinions Please

I would look at Destin West or Waterscape, for fun & memorable pool areas, with Waterscape being the newer of the two.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Destin Experts ~ Opinions Please

We have stayed at the Crescent several times and it is very nice. Well maintained and pool is very good sized. They have a fairly large beach area so it is never overcrowded since there are only about 70 units in the complex. Not saying the others aren't good as well but the location of the Crescent is nice too since it is not right in the heart of Destin but only a short drive. Very close to the outlet mall as well.

Kennesaw, Georgia
Level Contributor
664 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Destin Experts ~ Opinions Please

I would lean towards Destin Gulfgate we have stayed there once when Jetty East was being repaired due to Hurricane damage several years ago we really liked it . Jetty East may be a fit for you also Clean , secure and family friendly

We have been going there with our kids for 14 years and love it . We hope to bring our grandchildren therein the years to come

And,no I do not own a unit there

NC
Level Contributor
377 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Destin Experts ~ Opinions Please

Havent stayed at any of the ones listed, but have wanted to stay at waterscape as they have expansive water activities for the kids. The one tricky thing you will find is the view. The more of a view the more it will cost, so you have to figure out what you need/want.

For another one to look at and we would have never left if we didnt start bringing our dog is Ariel Dunes. We had great 3 years going there and they have large pool and a secondary pool as well. The large pool is zero entry and has a umbrella fountain the kids would like, but since it is very shallow lot of little kids as well.

Gulfgate appears to have great views and is right in the middle of the action. The Track is right across the street, where the kids can play mini golf, go karts, arcade, etc. So depending if you want to frequent that place it could be another plus for ya.

The one thing with waterscape is it is west of the harbor, so you have to head east to get to the Destin activities, which isnt necessarily isnt a bad thing. It is also real close to the Gulfarium which the kids will enjoy once while they are there. There is also military airplane museum and that is closer to waterscape, but still a little drive from all of them.

We can say we would not recommend Beach retreat as that one appeared to have a little rougher crowd, smoking drinking loud after midnight, etc. Could we hit it at a bad time, but that is what we experienced.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,507 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Destin Experts ~ Opinions Please

Since this vacation is for your grandchildren I think they would enjoy Waterscape. It has a lazy river they would enjoy plus the beach. Look at pictures of the various units and see if you would like to be beachside, bayside or poolside. The other places you mentioned are all nice. Chech out Waterscape but you can't go wrong with the others you mentioned.

Texas
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Destin Experts ~ Opinions Please

Wow, you are all so nice to help:) I am going to see if I can get something at Waterscape. It looks awesome! Hope I am not so late that everything is already booked. Next, I will try Destin West. Gulfgate, Jetty East and Crescent look nice also.

If anyone has any more helpful suggestions for a great trip, please chime in.

Spending the day looking on the internet and calling these places:)

You all have a great day and week. Thanks again for your help.

Melynda

Destin, FL
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
2,968 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Destin Experts ~ Opinions Please

When are you planning on coming to Destin??? That could make a difference too...

Texas
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Destin Experts ~ Opinions Please

Hello,

Planning to come in July starting anywhere from the 7th through the 22nd. I know I'm really late to be looking for something, but didn't realize we needed to take the grandkids on a little trip:) I am also excited to see Destin area again and my husband has not been there.

One more resort to question about ~ Pelican Beach?? They have discount's going for July. Just checkin' on what everyone thinks about this place.

Thanks so much,

Melynda

East Texas

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,769 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Destin Experts ~ Opinions Please

Pelican Beach is one of the most crowded beaches in Destin. Way too many people there.

Texas
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Destin Experts ~ Opinions Please

Thanks MiramarBeachlover, I will scratch that one off! Sure don't want to be on the most crowded beach.

Anyone know anything about Island Princess? Waiting to hear back from Waterscape and Destin West.