We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question on Destiny East Area & also Golf Cart Issue...

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
10 posts
Save Topic
Question on Destiny East Area & also Golf Cart Issue...

I am hoping someone can shed some light on the conflicting info I am hearing regarding the legality of golf carts. We rented a place in Destiny East (first time in Destin area, normally vacation in Rosemary/Seacrest) and it seems like we may benefit from a golf cart for easy trips to the beach.

I asked my rental agent and a couple golf cart rental places who say yes, I can rent a street legal golf cart to go to the beach and drive on paved roads where speed limit is under 35 mph - Destiny east does allow golf carts but some people have said they've heard only homeowners in Destin are allowed to have golf carts and only those who own their own golf cart and include in rental agreement can have tenants who actually drive them legally in destin. So my question is which is it? Can I rent a street legal golf cart (registered with DMV) and drive to beach on roads under 35 mph or not?

Also, any info on destiny east community is greatly appreciated. - hoping it is nice (it looked it) and beaches not too crowded or too "party" central. Rosemary was pretty busy last July, hoping these beaches are a bit roomier. Also, anything within walking distance (coffee shops, restaurants, etc.)? We're going the last week of July.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question on Destiny East Area & also Golf Cart Issue...

Destiny East has streets. If a golf cart is street legal you can ride on the streets. You should have a gate code to come and go in and out of the subdivision. There are golf carts riding all over Crystal Beach, Miramar Beach and along Scenic 98 - all areas with speed limits of 35 or less.

Cleveland, Ohio
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Question on Destiny East Area & also Golf Cart Issue...

Thanks JoeMammy - not sure why there is so much confusion around this issue but good to know.

Any info on what I can expect in terms of the beach by Destine East - crowded like Rosemary beach?

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question on Destiny East Area & also Golf Cart Issue...

Destiny East beach is the public one by the Crap Trap restaurant - they do not have their own beach access. This beach gets pretty crowded.

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question on Destiny East Area & also Golf Cart Issue...

Locals won't be happy riding behind you but you are legal. Peak season = crowded everywhere (except my secret spots).

United States
Level Contributor
6,053 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question on Destiny East Area & also Golf Cart Issue...

You might need to drop off your riders and beach stuff, then take the cart back to your rental. Parking is pretty valuable in that lot in the summer. That is, unless you are going to the beach very early.

Destiny East is very nice. You will like staying there. Bad A** Coffee is to your east, but not walking distance, unless you really like to walk. Camille's has a coffee shop to your west, but that's not really a short walk either. You can enjoy driving your golf cart there!

TA wouldn't allow the real name of the first coffee shop. Had to add the ** instead.

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
711 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Question on Destiny East Area & also Golf Cart Issue...

The restriction on golf carts that you heard about it within the Sandestin resort. Owners are allowed to own and drive golf carts and lend them to their guests but rental golf carts are not allowed in Sandestin.

Cleveland, Ohio
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Question on Destiny East Area & also Golf Cart Issue...

JoeMammy - aren't you gonna share? even just one secret spot, pretty please?

Thanks DestinMel for the clarification - my sister usually goes to Sandestin I'm sure that's what she was thinking.

Destin, FL
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
2,791 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question on Destiny East Area & also Golf Cart Issue...

The other thing to consider is that there is a difference in a "golf" cart and a "street legal golf cart". Regular golf carts would not be allowed... no lights, turn signals, etc....

9. Re: Question on Destiny East Area & also Golf Cart Issue...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2014, 06:19