We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I-55 or new I-22????

iowa
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
I-55 or new I-22????

My family is headed to Destin from southeast Iowa at the end of this week. In the past we have gone via I-24 to 65 and been caught up in Nashville. Then we tried I-55 thru Jackson, MS, then 49 to 98 to I-10. But on this one we seem to get hung up in a tunnel in Mobile. Anyone think I-55 to new I-22 to I-65 at Birmingham would be better? I guess I am unsure if I-22 is completed all the way to Birmingham? Thanks for any suggestions!!

Destin, FL
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
2,968 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I-55 or new I-22????

I22 or US Hwy 78 as its currently known goes most of the way into Birmingham.... Whenever I go to Memphis/NE Arkansas, that is the way I go....

Take 65 all the way to the Georgiana exit (114) then follow Baked Again's directions... (search this forum for these directions)

Edited: 08 July 2013, 17:05
United States
Level Contributor
6,490 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I-55 or new I-22????

Don't know about I-22 but I'm working on a similar route from Missouri. Look at this route, suggested by MsCheap1. I was told you can avoid the tunnel in Mobile by taking the hazardous truck route.

Coming into Mobile when route 98 crosses I-65, take I-65 N to next exit, (route 45 St Stephens Rd), turn right onto St Stephens, turn left on S Craft Highway which becomes Bay Bridge Rd. That takes you across the bridge and back down to I-10 on the east side of the tunnel. You can get on I-10 there, or stay on 90/98 and get back on the interstate at one of the interchanges on the east side of the bay.

On the way back, get back on route 90 before you reach the bay and reverse the steps- Bay Bridge becomes S Craft Hwy, right turn at St. Stephens Rd, get on I-65 S to next exit which is route 98 heading out of town.

I haven't looked on the map yet, but need to do it soon to double check how this looks.

Mn
Level Contributor
447 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I-55 or new I-22????

I-22 is not complete yet. It ends at Coalburg Rd, but it's just a mile or 2 to get onto I-65, then Baked directions from the Georgiana exit.

Independence...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: I-55 or new I-22????

Yes take I-22 (US78) we went that way home in June! We went through Nashville on the never again! Kentucky road construction was never ending!

St. Louis
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: I-55 or new I-22????

Just went I22 last week and highly recommend that route! We have gone the Nashville route as well as the Mobile route and the I22 was by far the best for us.

Edited: 10 July 2013, 01:33
MO
Level Contributor
589 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I-55 or new I-22????

Next time we are going to try that route on the way down.

Destin, FL
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
2,968 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I-55 or new I-22????

Officially you are supposed to get off of 78 about 8 or so miles before it runs out, (local traffic only), but it has seemed that more and more cars are staying on until it runs out... If I remember correctly, you take a left at the first light you come to and then you will run into 65 in another mile or so...

Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I-55 or new I-22????

The new I 22 is a great road! Smooth open road with plenty of stops for gas or food.

United States
Level Contributor
6,490 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I-55 or new I-22????

Went that way today! It is a great road, but we got off when it said local traffic only. Mistake! We have a GPS in the car and hand held google maps on the phone. In the dark, we would have been lost without both of them working together. Stay on the highway when it says local traffic only!

MO
Level Contributor
589 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I-55 or new I-22????

How long did it take you time and mileage?