We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crowds

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Crowds

I have been looking for open rentals for a quick getaway. My husband owns his own business so we usually have to plan for vacations with a shorter notice than most people. I have always been able to find last minute pet friendly rentals with relatively no problems. This year I am struggling to find any open rental (not just pet friendly). So my question is just how crowded has it been in the panhandle this season? Are the beaches and restaurants super packed?

Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
2,622 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crowds

The only place we had to wait was at Stinky's Fish Camp. We stayed at a pet friendly low rise, Beach Retreat, and the beach was not crowded the middle of June.

Indiana
Level Contributor
936 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crowds

Not being able to locate a rental should tell you something. We go early spring or fall for the reason of crowds. There have been quite a few post this year about the bad crowds this year over other years. You may want to look into other areas of the coast.

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,277 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crowds

Many of you know I work for Newman-Dailey Resort Properties in the sales division. I try to attend the company wide staff meetings every Fri am. I've been listening to the rental mgrs regale record occupancy for 2013- Destin is pretty muched packed to the gills this summer.

Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crowds

We own a condo in FWB and we were booked up completely for the summer by March. Even earlier than last year. Even though our calendar is full, I get inquiries, even people asking me to keep their name in case of cancelation.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
198 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crowds

This thread is a great example that using the term "crowded" can be very relative. Peaches notes above that they stayed at Beach Retreat in mid June and it was not crowded. We were at Beach Retreat in late June (so probably a week later) and I thought it seemed more crowded than ever (we've stayed there probably 10 times over the past 7 years).

So it really may all depend on what you are used to, or what you are comparing it to.

Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Crowds

I am in the same boat as you. Can't usually get away and if I can it is last minute. I just booked last week for a short trip to destin next week. I booked at sterling sands through sterling resorts. There was also availability at hidden dunes, jetty east, the islander, silver shells, majestic beach and pelican beach all through their personal websites.

Niceville, Florida...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Crowds

I am a "local"... the tourist season surges around the holidays and through the summer. So mid June will not be crowded, while the end of June into July will be the busiest--and other comments are correct, we are loaded to the gills with the tourists this year. After a couple of down years due to the oil spill, people are coming back. Traffic has been horrible.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crowds

Just based on my trying to book a place for Sept. I'd say Destin is getting more crowded than ever. I figured I'd have no trouble booking a ten day stay in Sept. I couldn't get the complex I wanted. I tried again, with another condo, no, full. Finally the third place worked out. This was planning ahead, not last minute. My brother-in- law and family just returned from a vacation in Destin and he said that traffic was worse than Houston!

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,687 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crowds

Not only is the summer booked solid - but TCG is right - seems that the shoulder season( May, September October) is getting more crowded as well. It has been exceptionally crowded the last 2 years but I went for my walk this morning and it was beautiful out - the water was like glass and the sun was rising and I had it all to myself except for a couple of fishermen

Missouri
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crowds

For the past 2 years I have had to book my Destin trips June and October A whole year in advance! It is getting busier and that is terrific news. We did go during the oil spill and the crowds were like a fall day. Crowds are just part of the trip if you plan on going in June or July. Hope you have a great time!