We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any tricks for getting a last minute rental?

Indy
Level Contributor
425 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Any tricks for getting a last minute rental?

My husband just got next week off last minute so we are trying to see if we can find a vacation rental at the last minute. I'm not sure where to start looking. I've tried the VRBO and Home away but haven't had much luck. Any tips on finding something last minute?

Thanks!

United States
Level Contributor
6,373 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any tricks for getting a last minute rental?

I've heard of rental companies sometimes giving a discount when the contract is within 30 days. You might call some of the local ones and ask if they have any specials. What is left un-rented might not be what you would like, but it's worth a try.

We've used Crystal Waters Realty, Newman Dailey, and Ocean Reef, with no problems. Maybe someone on the forum owns something they might private message you about! Good Luck!!

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,707 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any tricks for getting a last minute rental?

Use a big agency (or their website).

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any tricks for getting a last minute rental?

I was looking for last minute at one time & was told by Chris at Alicia Hollis, to contact when time is closer for a better rate ; http://ajhrealtor.com/vacation_rentals.htm

I didn't end up using them, but doesn't hurt to try. Next week is still part of the busy season, so I wish you luck!

Valparaiso, Indiana
Level Contributor
342 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any tricks for getting a last minute rental?

Have a look at sunsetresortrentals.com; they're a smaller agency that has Destin & FWB units; I've used them before and they didn't disappoint, though I usually rent via VRBO.

georgia
Level Contributor
490 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any tricks for getting a last minute rental?

Just pulled up vrbo and put in next weeks dates, and there are over 400 properties available..just use the calendar and the filters of what you want, how many bathrooms,bedrooms,oceanview, etc. and you will find something.

Edited: 24 July 2013, 01:24
Indy
Level Contributor
425 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any tricks for getting a last minute rental?

Most of those properties on VRBO that show available next week don't keep their calendars up to date. I learned that recently. Thanks for all responses!!

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,707 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any tricks for getting a last minute rental?

Northside, I agree about VRBO. It gets to be a pain sending out request after request and trying to keep track of who has responded. that's why I recommend an agency. One phone call can access multiple properties. And you can inquire about discounts.

IL
Level Contributor
33 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any tricks for getting a last minute rental?

Last fri morning we booked and arrived on Saturday. We started on vrbo then called on a property. Ended up reaching resort quest. The agent let us know that the prop we called about was booked but she searched others and found a few. We really lucked out w the property we are at. Love it!

Mn
Level Contributor
440 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any tricks for getting a last minute rental?

We booked late last year thru our normal agency, best beach getaways, and got a pretty good deal. I guess I would not be too picky, but would not just settle. Do some work and you should be rewarded. Have fun!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Any tricks for getting a last minute rental?

I second the recommendation for Resortquest. Give them a call, they are very helpful and should be able to find something for you. Good luck.