We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car

Northwest OH
14 posts
Save Topic
Rental Car

My wife and I are taking a trip to Destin in the beginning of September. I have begun looking at rental car rates online and was a bit surprised as to how expensive they have gotten. I am looking at renting a car for 6 days and the cheapest rate I can find is like $350.00 (includes tax). Is this the going rate these days? That rate is for a typical smaller compact car, which is all I need.

Is it beneficial to book a car rental early or wait until a week or two before?

I have already looked on the major websites (travelocity, kayak, priceline, etc). Are there any other sites or resources out there that might be cheaper??

Thanks!.

Paddle Tribe Company
Kayaking & Canoeing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Kitty Hawk Kites
Gift & Speciality Shops, Equipment Hire, Kayaking & Canoeing
S.E.A. Chase Watersports
Water Sports, Boat Hire, Kayaking & Canoeing, Other Outdoor Activities, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Luther's Pontoon, Waverunner, & Kayak Rentals
Water Sports, Boat Hire, Kayaking & Canoeing, Waterskiing & Jetskiing, Other Outdoor Activities
MO
Level Contributor
589 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car

I have a membership at Costco and used the website and have found the prices cheaper.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car

I rented a car for this weekend in Chicago - got it on priceline for half the price that was published - try to bid what you want to pay and see if they take it.

United States
Level Contributor
6,761 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car

Try using the search bar on the Florida forum and look up a thread for car rentals. I used a coupon code someone posted there and rented a car in Ft. Myers earlier this summer for half the price I could find on my own. If that one is no longer applicable there could have been others posted by now. There were several threads on that subject over the last few months. Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car

rentalcar.com

Are you renting at Ft Walton Airport?

We have always got great rates there.

Northwest OH
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car

Forgot to mention my airport location is pensacola.

Thanks for the suggestions.

St. Paul
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Car

I always get good deals through Hotwire. No bidding but you don't know the company you get but they are all basically the same.

Findlay, Ohio...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Car

I just booked through Hotwire, they were the cheapest by far. $223 total with tax for midsize car for 7 days, not too bad considering every other site was at least $100 more.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Edited: 31 July 2013, 01:20
champaign, Illinois
Level Contributor
257 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental Car

I always book on autoslash.com. They automatically lower the rate if they find a cheaper one. I have a minivan rented for Destin in October at half the cost of most sites.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
562 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental Car

I'll second Hotwire, I booked a vehicle for a coworker that was over $100.00 cheaper! I also have used the Budget number and coupon code and have had great luck with that as well. Just Google Budget Coupon code and compare the two, there is no way I'd pay $350.00! Good luck!

10. Re: Rental Car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2014, 05:18