We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Locals and experts... clear water in the area?

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,275 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Locals and experts... clear water in the area?

It's a few weeks yet until we make it back down!

I am glad to hear that the weather is great!

It is so beautiful and DRY her now as well.

Now, I know, mother nature is gonna do what it wants to do....

But, I am just wondering if there are any seasonal currents or anything like that which might help bring in clearer water.... Baring a big tropical rainfall between now and then!!! Never know for sure about weather and conditions!

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,276 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Locals and experts... clear water in the area?

Watch the tides.

Tide comes in from the Gulf = clear

Tide goes out from the inland waterways loaded with rainwater runoff = brown

I have a friend who goes to Crab Island only on the perfect days, he can predict the water clarity by the tides. Plus the more rain we get the browner the H20, this is the wettest summer I can remember in all of my many FL years.

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,275 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Locals and experts... clear water in the area?

Yep, we live in the South too....

OMG, all of the rain!!! : O

How can we predict by the tides though...

the water doesn't change once or twice a day with the daily tide does it????

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,641 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Locals and experts... clear water in the area?

There are websites for tides. I just use the US Tide app and set it for Choctawhatchee Bay /East Pass Destin. This gives me the high and low tide everyday. Right now high tide is like 2am. Low tide is around noon . So if you want clear water go for a moonlight swim.

Indiana
Level Contributor
936 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Locals and experts... clear water in the area?

We stayed in Waterview Towers last fall and you could watch the muddy water roll in from the bay as the tide changes. Early morning beautiful clear water but by 10:30 you could see the water turning brown.

Northwest OH
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Locals and experts... clear water in the area?

Whether the water is brown, blue or green it doesn't matter to me. I will be down in 10 days and I am going to enjoy the beach regardless!!! Anything is better than Lake Erie!!!!

Cleveland, MS
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Locals and experts... clear water in the area?

Same here! We'll be there in 11 days. A week on the beach in Destin with brown water is better than a week in the Mississippi delta!

7. Re: Locals and experts... clear water in the area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2014, 06:20