We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island Wing

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,638 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Island Wing

Haven't been yet - but hearing great things. This is by the Winn Dixie at 98 and Gulf Shores.

From the Destin Log

Though the franchise headquarters is located in Destin, Island Wing Company opened its first two restaurants in Alabama. The bar and grill opened its third location Sept. 5 closer to home, at the 98 Palms shopping center in Destin.

This is not your usual wing joint. Island Wing Company's slogan is "Get Baked", and there isn't a fryer in the kitchen. Everything on the menu — from wings and fries to mahi tacos and burgers — is either baked or grilled. Franchise director of operations Carl Simpson told The Log that helps assure there is something on the menu for everyone.

"That's a huge thing to people these days — the reduction of calories, the lack of grease and the enhanced flavor,” Simpson said. “You just don't taste grease. If you've had our green beans or if you taste our fries, you can tell they taste like the actual vegetable themselves. They’re great,"

Members of the operations team for the franchise come from a range of service-sector jobs. Simpson came from the sports bar business before joining Island Wing Company. He brought much of that experience to the restaurant, which features more than 50 beers on tap, a full bar and a multitude of big-screen TVs playing sports.

Founder Eric Jenrich was also a founder and one of the original owners of the Tropical Smoothie Café franchise. From that chain, he brought similar décor, including the bright greens, blues and yellows.

"(Jenrich) loves food. He likes tropical vacations," Simpson said. "Basically, (the restaurant) is a nice little trip to an island somewhere."

Franchisees are in the process of opening a franchise in Tallahassee by the end of 2013. If expansion goes as planned, Island Wing Company could soon be one of the South's favorite wing spots,

Destin, FL
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island Wing

I'll give it 2 thumbs up!!! Gotta try the tuna dip.... interesting but spicy twist!

United States
Level Contributor
6,369 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island Wing

Oh boy! Another new place to try. Thanks for the info on it.

Missouri
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island Wing

I am gonna have to go here! It is located in one of my favorite spots. Thanks MBL!

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island Wing

After Drinks 2 thumbs up I am ready to give it a try.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,207 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Island Wing

I can't believe nobody asked: Will Baked be there where it's all BAKED?? They definitely should Get Baked, and YOU should get Baked some Baked ones. JoeMammy, where are you when we need your bad jokes?

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Island Wing

Took awhile to get there - but loved the food. The wings - the mac and cheese dishes all big thumbs up. Lots of micros on tap - big screen tvs playing football - will definitely be back.

Also last week we went with friends to Louis Louis - don't know why we don't go here more often. Everything was great.

Kennesaw, Georgia
Level Contributor
647 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Island Wing

We went in October when we were down . Pretty good Fish Tacos and my wife had some wings that were super hot and she likes hot wings but could only eat a few . They should bring a fire extinguisher to the table when the serve them ! We also had some baked Lemon Pepper wings that we excellent

Good atmosphere , cold beer and a bunch of TV's . We will be back

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Island Wing

My husband had the tiki fire wings and he was mopping up the sweat on his face. His friend shared them and he literally looked like he was on fire. These aren't even the hottest ones they had. I had some medium ones and liked those - some heat but managelable.

MO
Level Contributor
589 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Island Wing

We ate there Friday evening and my wife had the fish tacos and she said they were very good. I had some wings and chili, the chili was on the spicy side but I liked it. Will go back next time.

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,276 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Island Wing

Going to IW tonite. Wanted to give them a chance to work out the kinks. Went to the new Italian place in the same neighborhood and we so wanted to like it, the decor is beautiful - but food was oh so bad. Maybe it was too soon after opening. I'll never stray from LaFamiglia (original locale) again for the bonafide Italiano.