We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big ol gator!

location, location...
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Big ol gator!

Anyone there to witness this bohemoth?!

https:/…515709658507214

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big ol gator!

Have friends that go gator hunting - they caught a 11 foot - over 650 lbs one just a week ago. Gators exist in every county of Florida. And yes it was in the bay that he caught it.

United States
Level Contributor
6,373 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big ol gator!

Okay, possibly stupid question here. Does anyone swim in the bay? I know they paddle board there, and that does not even sound safe, considering this story . . .

Mn
Level Contributor
440 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big ol gator!

Don't be taken in

by his welcome grin.

He's imagining how well

you'd fit within his skin...

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,276 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big ol gator!

Growing up in Miami we used to swim with gators all the time in lakes and canals. One of the kids in our gang was the designated "gator spy" to keep an eye on them from the bank and yell if they came too close.

United States
Level Contributor
6,373 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big ol gator!

Growing up in Orlando, I used to swim in the lake where there were some gators too. But I was dumb then!

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big ol gator!

They aren't interested in you unless you bother them - kinda like the sharks. (Or you have bad luck)

United States
Level Contributor
6,373 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Big ol gator!

I believe you, Mbl, but they still scare me. But then, I panic to see my kids go too far out from the beach on the gulf side, too. Like I guess I think the sharks are waiting . . .

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,207 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Big ol gator!

Here's the story of one of the funniest things I've TRULY ever seen in my life. We've seen gators on the gulf courses in both Destin and other southern communities and they freak me out. I'd read that same thing that you've got to just figure any body of water in FL may have gators in it.

Well, we stay at Southbay on the Gulf. Some of the condos are on a decent size lagoon and like many condos, you get people wandering through you don't really belong there. One day as I was walking on the bridge, I saw a group of 20 somethings watching one of their friends cavorting in the water. I very casually mentioned, "you know, they say any body of water in Florida may have alligators in it..." I couldn't BELIEVE how fast that kid got to the side and scampered out! I held my laughter until I was past them.

BTW, if I were him I would have been more concerned about all the turtles and vulnerable body parts. We've never seen a gator in there, but what I said WAS true!

9. Re: Big ol gator!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2014, 05:17