We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are helicopter rides here to stay?

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
vicksburg
Level Contributor
263 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Are helicopter rides here to stay?

I noticed a regular succession of helicopters this summer (I stay on Holiday Isle) and it really disturbs the beach experience. Is this going to continue?

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,588 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are helicopter rides here to stay?

Various governments have checked into the helicopter situation in the harbor/pass area and have found that there really isnt anything they can do. They pass coast guard inspection and by anchoring in the water they have found a loophole.

vicksburg
Level Contributor
263 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are helicopter rides here to stay?

I guess if people didn't spend their money on rides, there would not be a market. Probably no change until there is a crash and someone dies. . I know that is extreme and I hope it doesn't happen, but I dislike the constant back and forth. I guess I live with it or go much further East - like Mexico Beach. Only thing I can do. Thanks for the info.

Kennesaw, Georgia
Level Contributor
642 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are helicopter rides here to stay?

I noticed a spot in the Harbor in front of the Boathouse . I am guessing thats where they are taking off from .We didnt see any flying this time , I assume they closed due to Karen possibly showing up

I agree with bjcvicks , they are annoying with the back and forth over the beach . I would never go up in one for sure.

As much as we love Destin , it seems that it is becoming a" Circus atmosphere" at times .

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are helicopter rides here to stay?

The little black helo is based right next to Longhorn Steakhouse. There was a recent letter to the ed at the Log from a guy complaining he could no longer nap on the beach:

thedestinlog.com/opinion/…

Welcome to the No Nap Zone!

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,588 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are helicopter rides here to stay?

Our sons wedding last week had to be stopped on the beach for a few seconds because of a helicopter going by. That didnt bother me that much what did bother me is someone seeing the chairs and arch placed on the beach for a wedding and setting up their beach chairs and umbrella right in front of it 15 minutes before the ceremony started. A friend at the wedding went and had a talk with them. They did move to the side where there was plenty of room available.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Are helicopter rides here to stay?

No napping on the beach - that's what we call a "first world problem" right there! That's right up there with "I hate this kind of ice, it hurts my teeth!" and "I'm so bummed...my shrimp cocktail only had 5 shrimp instead of 7 or 8."

Juneau AK
Level Contributor
615 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are helicopter rides here to stay?

I'm on Holiday Isle right now, and I have not noticed a great number of helicopters flying along the beach, so thankfully these rides appear to have diminished since the summer. This is just another sign of the "Panama City beach-ization" of Destin. Look at that tacky pirate boat ride (maybe it's fun for kids but it belongs at Disney World) and the carnival-like atmosphere at Harborwalk Village, with its bungy jumping, orbs, and zipline. Why have this stuff along a fishing harbor? The Emerald Grande monstrosity was originally touted as bringing such a "quality" development to the harbor, and look what it has become. Unfettered development always seems to win out around here, and local officials always seem to say "well, we cant' restrict that".

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are helicopter rides here to stay?

That was actually a very interesting and well written letter by the frustrated napper.

It's sad that most of the naturally beautiful areas in Florida have been overrun by people and exploited by developers and businesses looking to make money

Kennesaw, Georgia
Level Contributor
642 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are helicopter rides here to stay?

There is nothing better than a long nap under the umbrella at the beach . Cant duplicate that kind of relaxation anywhere

Missouri
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are helicopter rides here to stay?

Several days in Miramar Beach the helicopters were going crazy up and down the beach. Were they Coast Guard? They were orange and pretty low. Thought maybe they were looking for sharks.