We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Polar Bear Plunge

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Polar Bear Plunge

Not one but two to choose from - actually saw kids in the water yesterday

Polar Bear Plunge

The Destin Fire Rescue Foundation’s annual Polar Bear Plunge is at 11 a.m. Jan. 1 behind The Crab Trap at James Lee Park in Destin. A $20 donation entry fee helps raise funds for the Destin Junior Lifeguards. First 100 receive a T-shirt. Call 685-0408 for more information.

Polar Bear Splash

The first ever SWFD Polar Bear Splash will be held at 11 a.m. Jan. 1 at Ed Walline Park. All proceeds from $20 donation will benefit the SWFD Department Relations Committee. In the event of Red Flag Conditions, the plunge will relocate to the Gulf Place Community Park Pool. Email ssanchez@swfd.org for information.

Mentioned in this post
The Crab Trap Destin
The Crab Trap Destin
2,741 Reviews
Destin, FL
James Lee Park
James Lee Park
31 Reviews
Destin, FL
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Polar Bear Plunge

Seems like these two activities should have coordinated their dates a little better. Can't be at two places at once! Wish I'd be in town and I'd jump right in!

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Polar Bear Plunge

There will be no Polar Bear Plunge for us - or even fireworks on the Harbor. We brought back bad colds from our trip to Chicago so will be spending it at home. Happy New Year to all. Wishing you a safe and healthy New Year.

Slinger, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Polar Bear Plunge

Our Polar Bear plunge in Lake Michigan will take place New Years Day and the temperature at the time is expected to be a balmy 9 degrees. Anyone want to switch places??

Missouri
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Polar Bear Plunge

I think my Table Rock Lake has a plunge but you won't find me there. I would however be at the Destin plunge if I could! Sorry MBL about you being sick. Get well soon! Happy New Year everyone!

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Polar Bear Plunge

Barb, Let me know when you take the Destin Polar Plunge - I will be glad to meet you. Not up for Lake Michigan or similar - but Destin I can handle. Have been in the gulf on New Years Day before. Heck I have been in Lake Michigan when the temps were lower than the gulf is right now.

Missouri
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Polar Bear Plunge

haha Yes MBL....I could handle Destin's plunge. We will have to plan that MBL as soon as I move there!!

United States
Level Contributor
6,761 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Polar Bear Plunge

I just saw pictures of the plunge behind The Crab Trap. Anyone here crazy, eh, I mean, in those pictures?

Actually, it does look like it would be fun for a once in a lifetime sort of thing!

Mentioned in this post
The Crab Trap Destin
The Crab Trap Destin
2,741 Reviews
Destin, FL
Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Polar Bear Plunge

The polar bear plunge up here in MN on Lake Minnetonka, the air temp was -5 and the lake was 32 degrees.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Polar Bear Plunge

Trixie - How can you plunge into something that is frozen :). We actually went white water rafting in Kenai AK in June a few years back - water temp there was 31 degrees - they dressed us in dry suits and told us if anyone went in - do not even think about going after them as they did not need to try to rescue more than one person. It was a blast - air temps were around 60 - but when that water spray hit your face it definitely was a walk-up call.

Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Polar Bear Plunge

They cut the ice out of a large area, this year, it has been so cold, they had to do it close to the event. So it would not refreeze. People were doing it, they raise money for the wounded warrior project. I did not do it, I am sure I would have a heart attack.