We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crystal Beach area "Welcome Spring Breakers" on VRBO?

Slinger, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Topic
Crystal Beach area "Welcome Spring Breakers" on VRBO?

We are looking for a private home with pool and noticed that a lot of the listings on VRBO for the Crystal Beach area advertise that they "Welcome Spring Breakers". I was surprised and disappointed to hear that since we are a family of 4 with younger kids and are not interested in spending a week next to a house full of high school or college kids. We specifically picked this area hoping to avoid that. Is anyone else surprised by this? We'll limit our search to the 30A area instead.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crystal Beach area "Welcome Spring Breakers" on VRBO?

Where did you see these advertised? I just looked on VRBO at Crystal Beach Florida and none of them said, "Welcome Spring Breakers." What am I missing?

Slinger, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Crystal Beach area "Welcome Spring Breakers" on VRBO?

I looked in the "Scenic Gulf Drive West" area, under Crystal Beach, and a number of them say "Welcomes Spring Breakers". :(

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
555 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crystal Beach area "Welcome Spring Breakers" on VRBO?

Kelli, That is disturbing, I kind of thought you were over reacting until I checked myself! Several of the units seem to be owned by the same people and if you scroll down by their rental amounts they do say "family only" but there are a couple of others that don't say that. We never stay in that area anymore, we always stay in Miramar which is under Scenic Gulf Drive Central or Central West. We booked our unit in October to be sure to get into the complex that we wanted (Mediterranea) Good luck :)

Destin
Level Contributor
297 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Crystal Beach area "Welcome Spring Breakers" on VRBO?

Hi Kelli, as a Crystal Beacher, I too have concerns after you pointed it out, so I did a little research. It appears that all of those listings (I saw about 12 of them out of 200 or so in Crystal Beach), say the name of the house, then Welcomes Spring Breakers, then the # the house sleeps. Further research identified the same phone number as the contact info, leading me to believe that they were all the same owner. But when I scrolled down further to "see all my rental listings" on one of them, there is also a link to a management agency who has these homes listed (the owners of the agency may also own some of the homes). There does state on these listings that there is a minimum age limit, but it doesn't state what it is. I wonder if they meant to state "Welcome Spring Break Families" instead, as Crystal Beach is not typically a place that welcomes college/high school spring breakers, at least that's been my experience.

Destin
Level Contributor
297 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Crystal Beach area "Welcome Spring Breakers" on VRBO?

What I'm hoping is that they didn't have enough characters to put Welcome Spring Break Families in their headline, and shortened it to just Spring Breakers because if they put Families in there, they wouldn't be able to put how many each listing sleeps in the headline also.

Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crystal Beach area "Welcome Spring Breakers" on VRBO?

Isn't anyone who travels down over the spring breaker period a "spring breaker" families included?

Slinger, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Crystal Beach area "Welcome Spring Breakers" on VRBO?

Thanks for your responses! When I read "Welcome Spring Breakers", I don't automatically think of families. The first thing that comes to mind is the Sandpiper Beacon in Panama City Beach welcoming the high school and college kids. I think just a subtle change to the title would make all the difference in the world. I'm not going to fork out $3000 for the week to be surrounded by a bunch of out- of- control kids. I work too hard to earn my vacation. I'll stick to the 30A area where it's more "family friendly".

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,831 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crystal Beach area "Welcome Spring Breakers" on VRBO?

Resortquest puts "welcome Spring Break Families" on their sign in Miramar Beach every year.

Destin, FL
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crystal Beach area "Welcome Spring Breakers" on VRBO?

The ads that are welcoming Spring Breakers is the ONE company in town that actually advertises and takes College Kids.... I would like to share my opinion on this, but can't tone it down enough that this post won't get removed...

College Kids beware - If you rent from this outfit, you will pay a hefty price and security deposit. Don't plan on getting any of that back. (I feel this is pretty shady at the least) Also, plan on being harassed by the local police, the neighbors staying in the houses around the one you rent, and the other residents of Destin that want the area to stay FAMILY FRIENDLY!

I don't know why you wouldn't just go to Panama City where you are wanted? Too much partying, too much raucousness, and debauchery??? Guess what, that's what we don't want in Destin!

Brentwood, Tennessee
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Crystal Beach area "Welcome Spring Breakers" on VRBO?

Where are these houses that are renting to spring breakers?