We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FL (and AL where I am) cannot handle icy roads

Alabama
Level Contributor
959 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
FL (and AL where I am) cannot handle icy roads

thedestinlog.com/news/destin-cut-off-as-ice-…

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,687 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: FL (and AL where I am) cannot handle icy roads

We are headed to 50 today so that should take care of the ice on the bridges situation.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,099 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: FL (and AL where I am) cannot handle icy roads

When you are back basking in 70s, you won't mind northerners poking fun at southern driving skills as they will be freezing and planning their next FL trip.

They even showed the Atlanta highways on the BBC news

Slinger, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: FL (and AL where I am) cannot handle icy roads

I feel for you all. We deal with this on a daily basis, but when you're used to it it's no big deal. We have the tires, salt, etc. to handle all sorts of weather conditions. Ice is a killer, though. You have to wait for the temps to warm and the sun to come out to melt it. Hopefully this is the last storm you'll see like this!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,238 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: FL (and AL where I am) cannot handle icy roads

I was wondering how bad it was, we saw the weather maps showing you'd get hit. I can understand FL and AL having a difficult time with the conditions, but I think ATL should have handled it better. My sister lives there (she's from WI originally) and they could tell Sunday it was going to be bad. How the politicians couldn't figure it out, who knows.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,983 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: FL (and AL where I am) cannot handle icy roads

We laugh at the northerners that can't deal with the heat. They laugh at us when it gets cold.

We were lucky enough not to get anything nasty in my part of the state, but it hasn't been very warm. I have cussed a lot the last couple of days. Luckily, it will be back in the 80's by the weekend where it should be.

The last time I saw snow here was in 1989.

Edited: 30 January 2014, 17:50
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,099 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: FL (and AL where I am) cannot handle icy roads

I remember that year, you lost a lot of orange groves back then.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,983 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: FL (and AL where I am) cannot handle icy roads

The groves have gotten clobbered by the freezes and a bunch of greedy developers. Lake County, Windermere, and Winter Garden used to have a lot of them. There aren't a whole bunch left.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,238 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: FL (and AL where I am) cannot handle icy roads

Wow surffish, I just remembered we drove down to Disney that year! That was really sad.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: FL (and AL where I am) cannot handle icy roads

Hi FT. I was surfing the FL forum, seeking some "warmth." This thread caught my eye. There you were. Just saying hi. ;) thinking / dreaming of walking on a beach right now. Another foot headed our way.... :(

Edited: 31 January 2014, 16:33
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,238 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: FL (and AL where I am) cannot handle icy roads

That's why we live on the WEST side of Lake Michigan! FL Friends, when those winds blow over the warmth of Lake Michigan, they get really clobbered over there. I think we should all convince Tyme to head down to Destin for a vacation. Yes, MI is a beautiful state, but wait until you see the beaches and water of Destin's Emerald Coast, you'd be making those reservations right NOW if you had any idea.