We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water temp, and question for parents

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Water temp, and question for parents

Hey guys,

I am traveling with three and four yrs old kids. I will be at Destin this Sat, March 8th to Wed. How is the water temp? is the sand nice for the kids to play with? or it will be mud and windy outside?

Beach clothes for the kids? or long sleeves?

Thanks for your help :)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
452 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water temp, and question for parents

Looking at the 10 day forecast. Sat/Sun will be around 64/66 - partly sunny/sunny. Monday, Tues, Wed, 30% chance of rain. Temps 66 to 68 for the highs. Water will be chilly. Sand is always nice...powder soft and white.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,475 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water temp, and question for parents

Definitely bring some warm clothes - if the wind is out of the south and sunny - feels great at 65 - if it is out of the north and cloudy 65 can be cold. Michelle is right sand is always nice and fun. Does the place you are staying have a heated pool?

United States
Level Contributor
6,049 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water temp, and question for parents

Bring both kinds of clothes. A bit of a trouble, packing wise, but best to be prepared.

I've seen lots of kids in swimsuits lately, in those temps, but I was wearing long sleeves. Your kids will love playing in the soft, white sand. Bring or buy beach toys. They will like that better than the water, which might be too cold for them anyway.

There have been people in the water, and plenty of people sunning in their swimsuits, but I thought it was a bit too cool for that. That's me, though.

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Water temp, and question for parents

Thank you all for your valuable comments.

I am staying at Destin West Beach and Bay Resort, I hope their pool is heated, and I hope it is not long walking to the beach.

This will be our first time ever to FL

Tennessee
Level Contributor
928 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water temp, and question for parents

You will be on Okaloosa and if you are staying on the bayside, it will be quite a walk to the Gulf beach. You will have to cross 98 to get beachside by a walkover. However, Destin West bayside does have a lazy river. The water temperature today at the Okaloosa Pier is a chilly 61. Have a great time.

6. Re: Water temp, and question for parents

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 March 2014, 13:05
Opp, Alabama
Level Contributor
568 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water temp, and question for parents

I don't know the resort you mentioned, but the bay side of the island is a lot less windy, no waves. If your resort doesn't have access on that side, there's tons of free parking at the boat ramp across from Beasley Park. Small kids might have an easier time on that side. The sand is a little rocky, but we find it very relaxing to escape the wind and waves sometimes. Don't forget the sunscreen, hats if the kids will wear them, my nose got burned Saturday in Biloxi.

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Water temp, and question for parents

I really appreciate your advices and comments. It made me change some planes.

Thanks a lot

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,063 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Water temp, and question for parents

It's too late to be of much use, but here's the National Weather Service's surf zone forecast:

www.srh.noaa.gov/product.php…

Water is indeed chilly (it it's any consolation, the water at Sebastian inlet south of Cape Canaveral is only 66).

10. Re: Water temp, and question for parents

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2015, 05:19