We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destin/Sundestin

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
overland park kansas
Level Contributor
108 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Destin/Sundestin

Hi,

Can someone help me. We have never been, I am looking for a condo/house on the beach walking distance or golf cart ( would love a place we get a golf cart) to restaurants, shopping. We want to go to crab islands one day, so we can take a car if needed to rent a boat. Want a nice condo, money doesn't matter, nice and kid friendly. Gettng confused..

Again would like:

Nice on beach with golf cart and walking distance to things to do with kids! Thanks

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Destin/Sundestin

No golf cart... But love Majestic Sun!

United States
Level Contributor
6,300 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Destin/Sundestin

Try Beachside Towers II at Sandestin. On the beach, some places to eat, and there is at least a tram to take you to Baytowne Wharf. If you are going in summer, it could take you a while to get to the boat rental, however.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,181 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Destin/Sundestin

In your post you make it sound like you're not going to rent a car, is that right? If so, that may not be the best choice. A large complex like Sandestin has a lot to offer, but you'll still want to check out the area for restaurants, activities and shopping.

Also, Destin is the city, but often people consider it an area from about Ft. Walton Beach to the west to include parts of 30A to the east.

Sandestin is a very large complex both on the bay and the gulf with several golf courses, shops and various types of condos on the west side of Destin

Sundestin Beach Resort is a condo complex on hwy 98 several miles west of the much larger Sandestin Complex.

overland park kansas
Level Contributor
108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Destin/Sundestin

Thanks all!! Okay what about silver shells? How far away from shops, eating, boat rental. We really don't want to rent a car, so maybe beachtowers is the best. We will take taxis most likely. Last question what about emerald grande at harbor walk?

United States
Level Contributor
6,300 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Destin/Sundestin

Maybe I misunderstood. They said they could take a car to get a boat for Crab Island, so I assumed they will have one, just preferred to be able to go some places without it.

Oops. Already posted before I saw they don't want to rent a car.

You will want a car, once you are there, though. Destin is spread out.

Edited: 01 April 2014, 01:08
Manhattan, Kansas
Level Contributor
292 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Destin/Sundestin

No way that I would go to Destin without a car. It is spread out and lots to see. I also have never seen taxis hanging out to take people anywhere (like in Chicago or Vegas) so you would end up calling for one and waiting. Emerald Grand is beautiful and possibly your best bet if you do not plan to get a car, but keep in mind that there is no beach right there.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
458 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Destin/Sundestin

Depending on the time of year, taxis could get really expensive. The traffic is Destin is terrible during peak times. 30/45 minutes to go a mile sometimes. Might want to reconsider. Of course, you could rent bikes.

overland park kansas
Level Contributor
108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Destin/Sundestin

Thanks for the info!!!

I am all over the map!! LOL!!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,181 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Destin/Sundestin

Aw, jadalola, no you're not. There's lots to take in. Vacation areas differ so until you've been to one, it's hard to figure out what it will be like. Trust us you HAVE to rent a car. Emerald Grande or Sandestin are a little bit more of a community feel (though Sandestin is HUGE) so if you only want to stay right there you could. But EG is basically the harbor with shops and restaurants and they built the high rises a few years ago on that property.

Silver Shells is probably a good choice too.

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
711 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Destin/Sundestin

If you stay in Sandestin, you can rent a boat at the Sandestin marina and take the boat to Crab Island. You don't have to drive to the harbor to get a boat. We have done that many times and it is a nice boat ride - much better than sitting in traffic on 98!