We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connector, Mid-Bay etc??

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,276 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Connector, Mid-Bay etc??

Can someone explain a bit better what that new construction is for those of us coming from the north? I can't quite picture where this is, and as someone mentioned, is it worth extra money to use it? Their official website isn't very helpful, that's a bad picture of the area. I guess I'll have to ask them if my speed pass we bought for the IL toll roads will help here.

I don't remember it being that bad to drive, realistically, how much money does it cost and how much time will we save? They seem to be changing the toll portion of it. Joe M, you don't have to answer, I know everything you want is on the south side of that bridge!

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,741 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connector, Mid-Bay etc??

Frozen Tundra - No your I Pass doesnt work here - you need a SunPass. It is a road that is wide open in the middle of empty land with no stop signs or traffic everytime I have been on it. We have a Sun Pass so it only costs us $1.00 so yes I use.

United States
Level Contributor
6,441 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connector, Mid-Bay etc??

I mentioned on another thread that by not using it, you will spend the $4 in extra gas when you drive 15-30 minutes more to go through Niceville. May as well save some time and give the state the $4 instead of the oil company.

Destin, FL
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
2,962 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connector, Mid-Bay etc??

It really depends on how much you value your time.... If I had driven 6 to 12 hours, I believe it would be worth it to me to save 15 to 20 minutes and avoid about 10 lights and the inherent traffic...

Mn
Level Contributor
447 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connector, Mid-Bay etc??

I remember about where the cut off is. When you are that close, sometimes a few bucks just do not matter. I hope FL DOT is not monitoring this thread...!!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,276 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connector, Mid-Bay etc??

Good suggestions from you all. When we get closer every mile feels like 10, right? We love to put the Underdog CD in and crank up "Florida Bound" and get there ASAP. We bought that IL pass to get through the tolls faster, and you save money. We'll check into that Sunpass. We don't cross the bridge very often, but who knows, it may be worth it for us.

Drink, try 16 hours!

Alabama
Level Contributor
965 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connector, Mid-Bay etc??

As of last week, I read that they haven't been sending out the bills yet.

United States
Level Contributor
6,441 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connector, Mid-Bay etc??

I think on another thread, someone said sometime this month the bills would start. We used it in February and March and did not any bills.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,276 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Connector, Mid-Bay etc??

They must feel it's cheaper to mail them than to hire someone to physically take them. Interesting, as long as they're correct. IL had problems with the system not working correctly and somehow, there was an exceedingly large number of WI drivers who got hit with fines for not paying. We Cheeseheads were a little suspicious.

United States
Level Contributor
6,441 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Connector, Mid-Bay etc??

Actually, there was a problem. I read that people were receiving their bills at first, but they were referred to as a "violation". No doubt that did not go over well with people who had simply driven on the road. That's when they quit sending them out until they had worked out the kinks in the billing process.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,276 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Connector, Mid-Bay etc??

Whew! Yes, I'd be pretty ticked too. Is there any kind of toll both or notice as to how it works? I"m trying to sort through the options on the FLDOT website and toll website. It looks like not only do you get a fee for using it, you get a fee for them billing you! I'm definitely going to see if there's a way to register or get a Sunpass. I'll keep you posted.

Edited: 02 April 2014, 22:30