We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Windy, humidity makes Northern Gals a mess!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,336 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Windy, humidity makes Northern Gals a mess!

Guys, feel free to ignore this thread. Ladies, seriously, been coming down here for over 20 years and I STILL can't figure out to make my hair (therefore myself) look good. What is the secret that those of you who live in this climate know? I've got medium short, slightly layered hair with some natural curl. I look fine in WI, even Atlanta, by blow drying and using several styling products plus a some flat iron work. But I get down here and there's no style with a combo of frizz, curl, flat straight and lifeless tresses. Luckily for the dance we went to, I spritzed it with water, threw more gel in and with hot rollers I was able to look like myself. Next day I thought, I'll hit it with rollers, gel, mousse, root lifting spray AND heavy duty hair spray. That should keep it. OK, looking GOOD! Until a few hours of golf...

So today, I decided to use hot rollers and go with the curls, stop trying for sleek and stylish, just trying for any kind of look. The hair's too short to pull it back. Really, MBL, you spend time in Chicago, what's the trick? I figure those who always live here have already figured it out.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,522 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Windy, humidity makes Northern Gals a mess!

For Destin heat and humidity,I really like all the John Frieda Frizz Ease products. They give your hair a different texture. I would try those first. I've also been known to pat down unruly hair with a dryer sheet and if all else fails I spray Static Guard on my comb and brush. These unorthodox styling products work for me so maybe they will help you too.

Edited: 27 April 2014, 21:12
Colmar, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,789 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Windy, humidity makes Northern Gals a mess!

Now that's unique Destin Expert-ese.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,336 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Windy, humidity makes Northern Gals a mess!

Thanks Tex, you're a life-saver! I was actually looking at some of that non-frizz stuff today. I'll probably pick some up tomorrow. Believe me, we get high humidity in WI also, Lake Michigan's a big body of water, but we don't get the wind with it too.

Destin, Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Windy, humidity makes Northern Gals a mess!

Garnier fructese makes a spray that's in a green aerosol can with an orange top. I have long, thick and curly hair. It's the only thing that takes it from huge to big in this weather. I also wear my hair in a bun a lot. I NEVER straighten my hair after February...

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
464 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Windy, humidity makes Northern Gals a mess!

I gave up years ago to get my hair looking good while in Destin. I normally just blow it out and put it in a pony tail. Otherwise, I just make it curly with the diffuser. When I go curly I use some Aveda products - the Be Curly line.

U.S.
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Windy, humidity makes Northern Gals a mess!

ColorProof just came out with an anti frizz high humidity spray that is suppose to be awesome. ColorProof is a luxury line that is more expensive but if you can find it it is worth a try. Its all organic and worth every penny. I'm a hairdresser and its one of my fav lines now.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
464 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Windy, humidity makes Northern Gals a mess!

You can find it on Amazon. Love me some Amazon!!

Atlanta, Ga
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Windy, humidity makes Northern Gals a mess!

On the Beach I take a spray bottle with Watered down conditioner to spray after getting out of the water. Keeps my hair from having such frizzy fly aways.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,336 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! Windy, humidity makes Northern Gals a mess!

I deep conditioned it two days in a row. That got rid of the crazy look, so I look pretty darn good (if I do say so) the first hour. After that, it starts to sag, but at least it's recognizable as bad hair instead of a dead mop. I'm also wetting and covering with conditioner before I go in the pool, I heard that will help keep it in good shape.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! Windy, humidity makes Northern Gals a mess!

Frozen - It is obvious we haven't met if you think I have this figured out. Between the humidity - wind - convertible and boat, I lost that battle years ago. ;)