We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time to Destin - any must do's?

illinois
Level Contributor
56 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
First Time to Destin - any must do's?

We will be there next week (memorial day week) - staying on the beach in a rental house at dunes of destin on sandprint circle. Family trip - thanks for any tidbits :)

champaign, Illinois
Level Contributor
247 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time to Destin - any must do's?

I just got back from a week in Destin and stayed in Dunes of Destin myself (Sand Dune Ct). Dunes of Destin is within walking distance to some good restaurants. Since the traffic will be terrible, this will be a bonus. Mellow Mushroom. Pancakery, Bric a Brac, Broken Egg are an easy walk. A 20 minute walk on the beach will get you to the Back Porch. Some additional places within a couple miles is the Donut Hole (go early and get donuts to go, by 6:30 am), Graffitis, Boshamps, Louisianna Lagniappe, McGuires to name a few. There is a Winn Dixie across 98 for groceries. As far as things to do, my recommendations are coming from a 40 year old with no kids. I like to hit the outlet mall once, bike along 30-A, go to the Harbor to see the fish come in and eat out. I hear the Gulfarium is fun for kids along with some of the boat trips available down at the harbor. Another idea would be to rent a pontoon boat and visit Crab Island. Have a great trip and feel free to send me a message with any additional questions!

illinois
Level Contributor
56 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time to Destin - any must do's?

Thanks! I see you're from Champaign! We're over by Decatur so only about 45 min from you :)

champaign, Illinois
Level Contributor
247 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time to Destin - any must do's?

What a small world!

United States
Level Contributor
6,352 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time to Destin - any must do's?

I've spent a lot of time in both Decatur and Champaign, but that was many years ago.

You won't be too far from the water park and the go cart track with putt-putt, water cars, and arcades. Those are places the kids will want to go, if you have any with you. If you do, they will like Fudpuckers too. It's not famous for good food, but it is a great place for kids. Alligators on site, the kids get to dance on stage, etc. Our kids thought that was the highlight of the vacation!

illinois
Level Contributor
56 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time to Destin - any must do's?

doughnut - it hasn't changed much around here lol! We will have kids with us - big extended family group for a wedding. They've already talked about the water park and go cart track :) If it was just me - I'd stick to relaxing on the beach and call it good!! Fudpuckers sounds like fun! I've heard harborvillage is neat too but sounds like traffic is going to be horrible. How horrible is horrible? Is it too far to ride bikes to? Thank you!

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,632 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time to Destin - any must do's?

Not so much the distance to the harbor but the bike ride along 98 could be deadly. I would stick with driving. If you want to go for a bike ride you can either drive to 30A for the ride - or even go to Scenic Gulf in Crystal Beach - they have a bike/walkway that runs for 5 miles. Sand gravity is a good thing. Enjoy the beach.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
485 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time to Destin - any must do's?

My favorites are an afternoon at Norriego Point and dinner at the Old Bay Steamer

Kennesaw, Georgia
Level Contributor
645 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time to Destin - any must do's?

The ORIGINAL Seablaster with Captain Larry sunset cruise is awesome . Kids love it always see Dolphins . Sunsets are beyond beautiful . Free beverages . Cannot beat it

You can book down on Harborwalk .

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time to Destin - any must do's?

Best place for pontoon rental - True Blue Pontoon. Hands down #1 on Okaloosa Island and worth the drive from Destin. Best rates in or out of season. Friendly staff. New boats.

New places 2014 - Margaritaville at Harbor Walk (formally Lucky Snapper). Liked Jacaruda's at Harbor Walk also (formally Poppies, I think). Surf Shack at Mirmar Beach (just opened May 2014). 790 on the Gulf (in condo complex at Crystal Beach) - great happy hour, beachside dining, casual but nice. Good for couples.

10. Re: First Time to Destin - any must do's?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2015, 07:17