We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic Route in Destin

Oakland, Tennessee
6 posts
Save Topic
Scenic Route in Destin

We're planning a vacation this weekend in Destin. Are there any suggestions for a scenic route? We're staying at the Pelican Beach Resort and was thinking of heading west on 98, then take 83 north around Choctawachee Bay, and head back south on Mid Bay Bridge. Any ideas about how long this will take and will it provide a group of landlocked folks from TN great views of the bay / area homes?

Destin, FL
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
2,932 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic Route in Destin

I'm assuming you mean 85 north.... This is not a super scenic route, but will take you through Ft Walton Beach, Shalimar, past Eglin Air Force Base, then through Niceville back across the bay...

Depending on the time of day, this can take anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and a half.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,242 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic Route in Destin

I think your better bet is just driving along the main beach road, which is Hwy 98. This actually goes along the gulf for several 100 miles, but you don't need to take all that. Once you're in Destin, you can either head west along it towards Pensacola and drive along Navarre or head east and take it to 30A. If you look at the map you'll see parts of it are a major road with various names such as Emerald Coast Parkway. It also splits and goes along the water and can be called Scenic 98. 30A is a beautiful area and a bit less developed than Destin.

Or what's even better is take a walk along Gulfshore Drive. The complex we stay at is just a little bit east of yours and we often take that route. From Pelican Beach, you'll have a longer walk to get to the sidewalk along 98, but you can head west to the traffic light and then south toward the gulf. I suppose you could also drive your car the 5-8 blocks to Walgreens, then cross and walk along the area. The drive you're considering may have some nice glimpses of homes and water, but I'm not sure if it's worth the drive. You could just make sure you'd come in on the Midbay bridge, and you'd get a feel for it. BTW, that's the route we always take.

3. Re: Scenic Route in Destin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2015, 06:15