We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area to begin looking?

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which area to begin looking?

My husband and I have driven through Destin, but never stayed. Would all of you who are familiar give me some insight as to what area to begin looking for a place. We do not need major activities, just a place to get out on the beach. The closer the better. A small house or condo unit. Budget is not really an issue. I have been searching on VRBO but it asks me for an area, which is where I am stumped. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area to begin looking?

Here is a simple guide, starting from the harbor, also see upper right section of forum, TOP QUESTIONS

Holiday Isle- beach area closest to harbor, mostly condos

, mid-Destin, like SunDestin, Silver Shells busy area most of the season, high traffic

Crystal and Miramar Beach just past mid-Destin (our favorite area, many condos and homes)

Sandestin- self contained resort area easy drive back in to mid Destin

30-A - less congested smaller beach towns within 45min to 1hr drive in to Destin. (Seagrove Beach has a number of rental homes)

United States
Level Contributor
6,352 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area to begin looking?

Excellent break down above by Leena. We prefer Miramar Beach too, but there's nothing wrong with the other areas. We don't want to be by the high rises, so that is why we stay where we do, in a beach house. On VRBO, Scenic Gulf Drive Central West, will get you that area.

Before we went to Destin for the first time, I just did a whole lot of research and read the forum before choosing a rental. The more you know about the general area, and read what people have to say, the better the choice you will make. Keep asking questions you come up with, and you'll figure out where to stay.

U.S.
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area to begin looking?

My family and I have fallen in love with Sandestin and we stay in the Beachside two property. We get two bedroom condos on the higher floors and just love the view.

Texas
Level Contributor
308 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area to begin looking?

When are you traveling? Just discovered* that Beachside Two is going to be undergoing renovations beginning Sept 5 through March 15, 2015.

They're replacing balconies and repainting the building. Not sure which end of the building they'll begin on or what they'll do first.

We stayed early October last year and Beachside One was undergoing the same makeover. I remember scaffolding on the east side of the building, but no real noise - they must've been painting at that point.

Because my husband's an eternal optimist, we're still booking a condo - I, the family pessimist, am crossing my fingers and bothering God with a little prayer that we'll still be able to use our balcony while we're there :)

*I've only seen one listing on VBRO mention it, so I called Sandestin's reservation desk and they confirmed that the work will be done, but had no details because the homeowner's association is still negotiating price, etc.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
485 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area to begin looking?

Don't forget Okaloosa Island as well, just across the bridge west of Destin. Destin West and Waterscape (I think) are really neat and probably have the best pools/water features in the Destin area.

U.S.
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area to begin looking?

Didnt know that about beachside two. We will be there right before it starts it sounds like.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
61 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which area to begin looking?

We just stayed at Gulf Dunes on Okaloosa Island and did not like it at all! The condo we stayed in was fabulous but the beach service and crowd was very disappointing! We usually stay at Crystal Villas in Destin. There are 2 buildings with 3 stories each. Private beach, so the beach service guys run off anyone not staying at Crystal Villas...I did not realize this was not the case everywhere or I would have never changed locations. Also the water was horrible with June grass. Destin water was clear. :(

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Which area to begin looking?

Wow thanks for your input. Do you have a recommendation as to which building at Crystal Villas? A or B. Also, I only see an indoor pool. Is that correct, no outdoor pool?

Thank you again.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Which area to begin looking?

Thanks for your help. Do you have a preference as to which complex to choose?

When putting in Scenic Gulf Drive Central West, VRBO gives me a lot of choices.

Cincinnati, Ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Which area to begin looking?

Okaloosa Island is great! We have always stayed at the Azure and love it.