We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to take for a baby

Columbia, Illinois
Level Contributor
195 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Things to take for a baby

My wife, her family and I have gone to Destin for the last 13 years. This year we have an 8 month old baby ( he is crawling now) to take with us. Is there anything other than the obvious (sun scream, swim diapers, etc) that we should take with us? I know a lot of you have good "why didn't I think of that" ideas. It can be for the car ride and/or the beach.

We are going in July.

I heard from one person who bought the cheap blue plastic pool from walmart to contain their kid to one area on the beach. I thought this was cool.

Thanks guys!

Hartland, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to take for a baby

I have nothing to add but I want to hear some replies :)

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,507 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to take for a baby

I see a lot of people on the beach with small tent like things to get babies out of the sun. I've also seen the plastic pool idea you mentioned used with success. How about some plastic sand castle type beach toys for you or grandparents to use to entertain baby? A hat with a big brim is a must. Bring sun glasses if your little one will tolerate wearing them. For inside the condo I'd bring a baby gate and some large bright cling stick on things to place very low on the sliding glass doors. Get the easy to remove type. The baby gate and the stick on cling things would depend on the configuration of your condo. Baby powder can be used to get rid of sand on baby and others in your family. I keep some in my beach bag. These are just off the top of my head and aren't in any order. I'm sure others will have more ideas.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,768 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to take for a baby

TCG - Spoken like a new grandma. Congrats!!!! Baby powder is a great way to remove sand without water.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,507 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to take for a baby

Thanks MBL! Our new grandson got to leave the NICU and go home yesterday. We are very excited. By next year I hope to be starting a thread like this myself.

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to take for a baby

You might want to bring duct tape to cover up outlets in the condo (or get some outlet covers). With the duct tape, it's no big loss if you forget to pull it off when you leave.

Bring your own sippy cups, if your child is using those. Little ziplock bags for carrying baby snacks down to beach are good too.

When my son was a toddler, we bought a large canopy to bring with us so that we had a larger shaded area that he & his cousin could play under. We still use it now, & he's 8 (the grandparents like it too!). Lots of sand toys too! Seems like little ones can play with buckets of sand & water for a long time.

Another idea: bring a lot of plastic bags, like the kind you'll get at the grocery stores. I always needed them out on the beach for diaper changes, trash, etc.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,507 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to take for a baby

Thought of another thing I use at the condo. I always keep a few clothes pins in my bag in case there are curtains that don't close all the way and and let in too much light. Never know when those will come in handy.

Columbia, Illinois
Level Contributor
195 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to take for a baby

Good ideas guys. Thanks!

This is the first I've heard of the baby powder. Do you just sprinkle it on once we are done for the day and out of the water and then wipe off the sand?

United States
Level Contributor
6,490 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to take for a baby

Someone told me those little tents get hot because they block the breeze. Something with a pass through for cross breeze might be a good idea.

Congrats, TCG!

Aurora, Illinois
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to take for a baby

My girls are all fair skinned red heads. They swear by the baby blanket brand sun screen. You can buy at amazon or the baby store. Similar price as coppertone, but it stays on longer and gives better protection. They have been using it since they were little. They make a version for faces that does not sting the eyes, and a version to rub on the scalp.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
33 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to take for a baby

I just got back from the beach with a 9 month old. Take everything!

No really.

Here's what we took down to the beach with us (we used a cart) -

- a large beach blanket for her to lay on (I bought a cheap mexican serape on Amazon, worked wonderfully).

- I took a cooler to keep some baby food, juice, Pedialyte (suggested by our pediatrician to use to prevent dehydration) and formula in. Take spoons, bottles, etc.

- Lots of baggies to keep leftovers in or wet clothes, diapers, etc.

- Baby powder to get the sand off.

- I didn't get the tent for a reason someone stated above, most don't let a breeze flow through (some do though, just check out the ventilation). Instead we used a regular beach umbrella, and that worked fine. We did have to move it a couple of time to keep baby in the shade though.

- Sand/pool toys.

- a baby pool. We used the small, one-ring inflatable kind (we also took an air pump....)

- sunblock, swim diapers, swimsuit, hat and sunglasses

I had someone suggest taking a pack n play, but we didn't and I don't think it's necessary. Just one more thing you'll have to haul back and forth.