We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A couple last min questions

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
961 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
A couple last min questions

We are only days away from Destin now and since the condo issue has been resolved we are excited once again! Friends of ours recommended we check out Howl at the Moon in Fort Walton on our first night. Anyone been there on a Sunday night?

I have a list of restaurants we have compiled from recommendations on this forum and from friends recommendations:

Harbor Docks

McGuires

Crab Trap

Pompano Joe's

Jackacudas

AJ's

Boathouse

Mello Mushroom

Donut Hole

The problem is we will only be there 5 nights and one night we will be attending a wedding. So... What would be your picks? I know Donut Hole is a bakery. Is it best for breakfast or dessert? I think we will try the Crab Trap the first night since it is next door to Howl at the Moon.

I would love to find a small beach bar to hang out at one evening. Maybe some live music. Last october when we were in Fort Myers we went to Smokin' Oyster Brewery several times. Great food, super casual atmosphere and tons of fun! Anything like that?

Destin, FL
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A couple last min questions

McGuires might fit the bill you are looking for to compare to Ft Meyers...

Personally, I would pass on The Crab Trap and Pompano Joes.... can get much better food here for the same or even less money... In the same complex as Howl at the Moon, there is The Black Pearl... Much better than the Crab Trap in my book, also Anglers is a building or two over.

Howl at the Moon is fun, but definitely adult entertainment...

The Boathouse is also a lot of fun.. Food is average,...but goes well with the atmosphere!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
961 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A couple last min questions

No kids on this trip so the Howl at the Moon will be fine. I will check out The Black Pearl.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,588 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A couple last min questions

Love Howl at the Moon.

Ohio
Level Contributor
660 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A couple last min questions

I'd skip Crab Trap, Pompano Joe's and AJ's...

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,443 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A couple last min questions

I am also not a fan of The Crab Trap, P.J.'s or A.J.'s and unless you like sushi I would also skip Jackacudas.

Instead, I'd go to Dewey's bayside location, Marina Cafe, Louie Louie or Red Bar and Stinky's Fish Camp. Donut Hole is over rated and is just like any breakfast place you have at home, plus it's always crowded.

Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A couple last min questions

I went to AJ's twice during my short stay, and I loved it. It's right on the bay, great view of boats coming in and out. I had oysters, they were great. Everyone else liked their food. No complaints.

Also had mcguires. It's a definite yes!

7. Re: A couple last min questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 July 2014, 13:05
Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: A couple last min questions

TexasCowgirl, when you say "Dewey's Bayside" are you speaking of the Crab Island Location? I'm kind of bummed that AJ's and Pompano Joes were mentioned as we will be there starting Saturday of next week and were planning on having snacks and cocktails on the deck at AJ's while our crazy teenage kiddos were parasailing. And, since we are staying in a house in Miramar, within walking distance of Pompano Joes, we planned on going there one late afternoon, sitting out on the deck and watching the sun set over snacks and cocktails. I didn't want to start another thread about this so can y'all help a sister out here? Much appreciated!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
458 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A couple last min questions

My husband is a big fan of Pompano Joes. Its been hit or miss with me. But, you can't complain about the view. It makes a worth going.

Destin, FL
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A couple last min questions

Snacks and Cocktails will be fine at AJ's... Full dinner, not so much...