We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I-65 Construction Update Question

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Topic
I-65 Construction Update Question

Heading to Destin this Saturday. I would appreciate any I-65 construction info from Louisville to the shortcut in AL. Thanks in advance. Want to spend as much time as possible on the beach, not looking at orange barrels!

little rock
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: I-65 Construction Update Question

Download the waze app hope this helps

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,534 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I-65 Construction Update Question

Look up the Alabama DOT website before you leave. It will post construction going on. You can also do the same for Tennessee.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,323 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I-65 Construction Update Question

I'd say look at the Louisville forum. My sister just drove through Louisville in the last couple of weeks. At the start of the trip, they avoided it because of the construction, Two weeks later (two week ago from now) they tried to go through it and got hung up heading south. It wasn't the construction as much as the road painting. It was miserable. Maybe by now it's all cleared up. They were originally told that if they avoided the rush hour, it shouldn't be too bad.

kentucky
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I-65 Construction Update Question

Nashville is horrible,construction everywhere.We have started going around N'ville as much as possible.We sometimes get off and take 840 around.It's a long way around but at least we are moving.It comes back to I65 south of Nashville,past most of the mess.Went thru Louisville last weekend also construction wasn't as bad at least we moved just slowly.Good Luck!

Edited: 09 July 2014, 23:33
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,323 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I-65 Construction Update Question

BibBlue, you found our secret route, have you? We first considered this years ago, when we decided we hated driving through Nashville more than Atlanta! This year was the first time we took it. Even the unfinished section north of I-40 towards Gallatin is pretty good. I don't know how much time if actually saved, but it sure left us feeling a heckuva lot better.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,534 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I-65 Construction Update Question

There is a big construction project north of Nashville right now. How are you getting to 840 without going thru Nashville? It ends in Lebanon and the other end comes out in Dickson. Either way, you have to get to

40 to get on it.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,323 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I-65 Construction Update Question

We leave I-65 north of Kentucky Downs, almost to Franklin and get 31W, then hwy 109 down (or back). That circle is about 25 miles from the heart of Nashville and is fairly rural in parts. This REALLY bypasses Nashville. Granted it was early May when we did this, but it was a good route for us.

kentucky
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I-65 Construction Update Question

Frozen Tundra Gal,That's how we go.Hwy.109 runs into hwy 840 past I 40. It comes back in to I65 south of Nashville.Sure does beat sitting in all that traffic!

Tipp City, Ohio
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: I-65 Construction Update Question

Boaterboy, we came down the same route yesterday. Came through Nashville around 10:30am with no problems. We did go through a jumber of construction areas on 65, but it was all flowing smoothly. Everything was at least 2 lanes or more at all times. Even the last part of construction on 65 from Greenville, AL to Georgiana was fine. They didn't neven have the barrels on the road. I'm not sure if it made a difference being Friday vs. Sat or not. Good luck, hope it's smooth driving for you.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,534 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I-65 Construction Update Question

I gotcha Frozen and BBF. Looks like they are currently doing a repaving on 109. Maybe it will be even better for your next trip. Here is a link to the construction and traffic situations in Tennessee.

http://ww2.tdot.state.tn.us/tsw/smartmap.htm