We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VRBO/Homeaway -- few owners, too many management companies!

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans
Level Contributor
33 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
VRBO/Homeaway -- few owners, too many management companies!

I'm trying to arrange a (very) last-minute vacay to South Walton beaches and I've used VRBO/Homeaway for many years in different locations. But it seems like almost everything I've come across is rented by a management company. Maybe that's because I'm looking so close to my desired time, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Very frustrating. VRBO is supposed to be vacation by OWNER, not management company!

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,443 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: VRBO/Homeaway -- few owners, too many management companies!

Thanks for the tip, Trixielou. Do you find that more renters are damaging things? If a renter does break something do they call and tell you or just hope you don't find out?

Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: VRBO/Homeaway -- few owners, too many management companies!

We do not charge a damage deposit, and our renters 99.99% of them are amazing. We have a friend who also owns in our building, who checks out stuff for us. We have had a few minor damages. The worst thing, was a guest whose young child must have left the table and run right to the curtains with red sauce on their hands and wiped them on the curtains. The parents must not have known, or did not clean it up. I managed to get the red out, but you can see a grease mark, that we have never been able to budge. We also had someone spill red juice or red wine all over a sofa cushion and just turn it over. We did manage to get that out.

It seems like the management companies ie Dale Peterson are now just charging a damage fee of $35.00 I wonder if they are insuring each rental, so if there is damage, the owner can fix it, and Dale Peterson do not have to shell out.

Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: VRBO/Homeaway -- few owners, too many management companies!

I forgot this year, we had a guest who said the kitchen sink was clogged and the dish washer was not working properly. It is only 4 years old. We had our handy man go in, and he found that the garbage disposal was completely clogged up with celery!!! Who does that?

New Orleans
Level Contributor
33 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: VRBO/Homeaway -- few owners, too many management companies!

Thanks for your replies, everyone. Trixie, I didn't know that VRBO listed the higher-paid posts first but that makes sense. And I agree about the calender -- so frustrating when you find the perfect place and the calender hasn't been updated!

Destin, FL
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: VRBO/Homeaway -- few owners, too many management companies!

A little background information on HomeAway/VRBO.... A few year ago, HomeAway purchased VRBO creating the largest Vacation rental company in the world.... more recently, HomeAway, purchased several software companies that proffesional property management firms use. Sooooo they got even bigger and now promote their product to owners and professional managers as well.

16. Re: VRBO/Homeaway -- few owners, too many management companies!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 06:15