We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Majestic Sun reviewed - tripadvisor wouldn't post my review?

Indianapolis, In
Level Contributor
65 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Majestic Sun reviewed - tripadvisor wouldn't post my review?

I tried to post a (critical) review of the Majestic Sun and tripadvisor sent me an email that they can't publish it citing the following:

"We're sorry, but we won't be able to publish it. TripAdvisor does not post reviews about multi-day tours, tour guides, travel agencies, online booking sites, retail stores, multi-day cruise tours, or airlines."

The Majestic Sun is a condo complex, already existing on the site with 92 other reviews. It's not any of those things they listed. Why was my review denied?

Here it is, verbatim:

Our family has been visiting Destin for over 20 years. The Majestic Sun has been, by far, the worst experience we've ever had in those 20 years. This place is so bad, I almost wouldn't believe it if it weren't happening to me.

When we first arrived here in room 401B, it wasn't cleaned. The beds weren't done. There was food on the floor, dirty dishes and towels in the laundry room. Admittedly, this is a problem the owner of the condo has to deal with and she was pretty courteous - offering a free dinner while we waited since we couldn't even unload our stuff into a dirty room.

Things just went downhill after that.

A few days in, the maintenance staff knocked on our door and asked to use the balcony so they could safely finish their job spraying something outside. I obliged - not thinking much of it. They did their job and left. Then they called the police.

I had 7 batteries, clearly marked "Deep Cycle Marine Battery" for my night fishing lights on my boat charging in the room. Instead of saying something like "Oh, that's a lot of batteries" or asking "What are all those batteries for?", the Majestic Sun staff called the police.

So when we got home from dinner that night, we were met with police attempting to enter our condo without our permission. Over boat batteries. We explained to the police what the batteries were for and after a few minutes they left. (Later in the week, some people saw us carting the batteries to the truck to go fishing that night. They asked what all the batteries were for and we explained it to them. This is a normal response. Calling the police is absurd.)

Twice after this we came back to our condo with THOUSANDS of dollars in laptops, tablets, etc WIDE OPEN as the Majestic Sun staff repeatedly let themselves in without our permission.

I don't know what they were doing in our condo because they waited for us to leave before they came into our condo without permission and LEFT THE DOOR WIDE OPEN WHEN THEY LEFT.

On our last full day I was sleeping in (It's vacation!) and woke up to beating on the door. I scrambled to put some pants on and just when I got my pants on I heard my wife yelling "They're just coming in!". I got to the door as a man was opening it up and he just said "Pest control". I told him we don't have any pests and shut the door. I decided not to let anyone else in, lest they call the police for having too many ice coolers or some ridiculous reason.

The security here is a JOKE. It's a false sense of security for unaware vacation-goers. All I saw the security do was clear the pool when they decided bad weather might come in (It never did, though I saw them kick everyone out of the pool a few times), and hassle people to see their wristbands. When we get back from fishing around 2-3am, the security booth was unmanned with no security in sight. This wasn't a one-time thing. It was every night.

The Majestic Sun exists because of its location. No place with this horrible or service could exist elsewhere.

So, if you're into random searches of your condo, dealing with the police over boat batteries, and constant hassling by the security gestapo for your wristband, this is the place for you!

If, however, you're looking for a vacation resort, I suggest looking elsewhere.

Anywhere else.

Indianapolis, In
Level Contributor
65 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Majestic Sun reviewed - tripadvisor wouldn't post my review?

That didn't seem to be their issue, though. And the police said nothing about it being unlawful or otherwise. The management presumably assumed I was up to something nefarious with deep cycle batteries.

And yes, they can explode if not well maintained. I'm pretty strict about maintaining them. Under normal circumstances there is little chance of issues. Your laptop battery or phone battery can also explode out of normal operating specification.

And the owner of the unit had nothing to do with the complaint anyway. I was asked nothing. They didn't even mention "oh hey - that's a lot of batteries" or "hey, could you bring those outside instead?". They just called the cops. That's my larger issue. If they have pointed to some ordinance or said they wanted the batteries outside, I'd deal with it. But deal with me. Don't just call the cops on me.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,534 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Majestic Sun reviewed - tripadvisor wouldn't post my review?

They could have thought you had a meth lab. There was a story on the local Tennessee news about a guy caught in a sting. Evidently school bus batteries were being stolen. They set up surveillance and caught the guy. He was stealing them to use to make meth with the battery acid. Strange but true.

Harrisonburg...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Majestic Sun reviewed - tripadvisor wouldn't post my review?

In agreement that your review should be posted. What a terrible experience. We just finished a vacation at Majestic Sun and had a wonderful time. No bad experiences for us. The view is the best. I do plan to return next year and hope I don't experience anything like what you did!

Indianapolis, In
Level Contributor
65 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Majestic Sun reviewed - tripadvisor wouldn't post my review?

I guess I don't know how to make meth, but I suspect most meth dealers aren't bringing batteries into a $2400/week condo on the beach to do meth cooking ;)

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,534 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Majestic Sun reviewed - tripadvisor wouldn't post my review?

I don't know how to make meth either. You do see on the news about people making meth in hotel rooms because they don't want to make it at their home, so maybe it's not that farfetched. It not usually nicer places on the news though. I do agree that your review should be published though. I had a friend stay there during spring break two years ago and teenagers were running around unchecked. Her mirror was broken off her car in the parking lot onsite.

26. Re: Majestic Sun reviewed - tripadvisor wouldn't post my review?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2015, 05:16