We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So...how has it been?

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
649 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
So...how has it been?

There haven't been a ton of trip reports (thanks to those that have written one!) - how has Destin been this summer? Uber crowded? Gorgeous and calm? Exciting and full of new things? I need reports, people! ;)

Can you tell I'm leaving in 2 weeks and raring to go?

Conway, Arkansas
Level Contributor
214 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So...how has it been?

MrsCabes, I feel the same! We leave one week from Saturday and I am ready for my annual (wish it was more often) fix...I'm having withdrawals here..lol. Getting in that all too familiar "irritable, tired of day in and day out...need a vacay" mode. I've seen posts on here about the crowds.

I don't know if you do facebook or not; I "like" NW Florida Daily News....Destin Log....all the rental companies..."Destin Shines"....pages...there may be other's these are the first that come to mind. I'm getting my information that way. These pages post heavily this time of year with photos, ideas, traffic, restaurants, and other items of interest. Just a thought!

Ohio
Level Contributor
649 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So...how has it been?

Thanks, Beachin! I have quite a few Destin things liked on FB but I'll have to check on the page you suggested!

I've been cranky too - in desperate need of a pina colada and the beach!

Kennesaw, Georgia
Level Contributor
638 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So...how has it been?

Amazing how that feeling creeps in . Everyday is a grind and all you do is count down the days

United States
Level Contributor
6,136 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So...how has it been?

Did you see the Destin Log video for the beach on July 4th? Yikes!! I don't know where the 5 rows of umbrellas was, but I am sure I would never stay there!

oklahoma
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: So...how has it been?

you know, beachin349, I live vicariously through your posts, so keep them coming when you are there! we don't arrive until the last week in august. counting on you!

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,396 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So...how has it been?

A few of the pictures with the umbrellas five rows deep were at Sandestin resort. I recognized the pool area.

It was the drone flyover video. I think it was posted by The Destin Log Facebook page..

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: So...how has it been?

Been here all week. Rained one day. SUPER Crowded! Over an hour wait for dinner at the popular places, thank goodness for the outside bars! Great ocean waves one day, little grass, after day one haven't seen a jelly. Sand is still white, don't want to leave.

Conway, Arkansas
Level Contributor
214 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So...how has it been?

Yes doughnut...I Did see that July 4 video!! I too wondered where it was....we usually go in mid to late June, so this will be our first time going this late....I certainly hope it has thinned out by then! I can tell you it was no where near that crowded when we were there...Yikes is right!

Tulsagirl, I will do my best but I have to tell you, I don't take a computer or IPad with me to the beach....just my phone, so no guarantees! I too live vicariously through others' posts on here, facebook pictures, etc. until I can get there.

Conway, Arkansas
Level Contributor
214 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: So...how has it been?

i actually don't mind an hour wait at the beachfront restaurants; i.e. Pompano Joe's....I just get a drink and stroll along the beach...hoping they won't page our party any time soon. :-)

United States
Level Contributor
6,136 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So...how has it been?

beachin, we've been in Destin in mid July the last two years. Our part of the beach doesn't even have chair set-ups, it's so uncrowded. I couldn't do a beach that way. I guess some people like people watching and don't mind.

And I don't mind waiting for a table under your plan either.

Edited: 18 July 2014, 16:59