We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destin locals...question about weather

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
OKC
Level Contributor
395 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Destin locals...question about weather

I've been to weather.com and looked at average weather for for Destin for each month, however, I want to hear it from the locals.

What should we expect the first of April for weather? Says mid 70's which sounds kinda cool if your swimming. Also is this the rainiest month?

Thank you in advance!

Destin, FL
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
2,812 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Destin locals...question about weather

Did you look at the Top questions about Destin - Weather by month????

Unfortuantely all us locals can give you will be anecdotal.... To the best of my memory, by April, we are usually seeing 80's for highs, but the pools and the Gulf are typically still pretty chilly... This past year was an extreme exception to this "norm" (I sure the HECK hope so!!!) in that it was still quite cool throughout the month of April and very wet!

Sorry, if this doesn't give you much solace, but only Mother Nature can really answer this question!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
453 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Destin locals...question about weather

April is hit or miss when I've been. Sometimes weather has been really nice or pretty chilly. Especially when the wind blows. Only one time have I been where I was able to go into the water. And, it was still pretty chilly.

Missouri
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Destin locals...question about weather

Weather underground on April this year was 21.55" actual rain and 1.93 average rain. Looks like this last April was very wet indeed. Next year is anyones guess.

ATL
Level Contributor
214 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Destin locals...question about weather

Destin isn't far enough south if you want really warm weather and really warm water in April, in my opinion. Certainly people swim, especially young people and people from points North where winters are cold and summers not always so warm, but in general, I don't find it warm enough for swimming.

We are there almost every April and this year was the worse weather wise, in terms of rain, etc.

But most years rain isn't an issue and we go knowing that it won't be "hot" beach weather, but perfectly fine weather for sitting on the beach and enjoying.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Destin locals...question about weather

I agree with lastminutemom. April isn't warm enough for this Texan to swim. Others from the north will find the water like summer at home.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,505 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Destin locals...question about weather

You can always enjoy the beach and then book a rental that has a heated pool.

OKC
Level Contributor
395 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Destin locals...question about weather

Ok. Thanks everyone for your replies. I do appreciate them. I know you never know with mother nature.

We would be renting a home near the beach, and it does have a pool, but some of them are only heated during "the season". Not sure if April qualifies for "the season". The week is Easter week.

Thanks again!!

Destin, FL
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
2,812 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Destin locals...question about weather

If the house has a private pool, the heating will be an additional charge and you can probably use it any time of year if you really wanted to...

OKC
Level Contributor
395 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Destin locals...question about weather

The ones we are looking at are not homes with private pools unfortunately.

MO
Level Contributor
589 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Destin locals...question about weather

I know it can be chilly in April. Jetty East has a heated pool, it is a condo complex. The website is www.jettyeast.net.