We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

crab island water clarity

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
145 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
crab island water clarity

We plan to rent from Luther's Tues 8/12, 2:30 - 6:30. Another post mentioned low tide the water gets very murky. I was hoping to snorkel..... Thanks for any insight.

Cape Girardeau...
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: crab island water clarity

High tide is when you want to be there. On Tuesday, I believe that will occur around 1 pm.

U.S.
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: crab island water clarity

We went this week and rented from Luthers. Luthers was great. Had fun but water quality was not that great. our water at the beach in front of Sandestin was much better. We still had an amazing time. Rented a jet ski also.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,502 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: crab island water clarity

Big samoan is right - high tide will be around 1 pm on Tuesday so you should have good water from about 11 to about 3 - after that the tide will change and you will get bay water filtering in. This is all subject to change due to rainwater etc. I am planning on being out there Sunday so will try to report what it looks like then. If you want to check tides yourself you can google tides - East Pass Destin. I have an app on my phone Tides near you - its free.

Niceville, Florida
Level Contributor
892 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: crab island water clarity

Water clarity in coastal areas is almost always impacted greatly by the tides. But along the Panhandle we have a lot of highly forrested areas, so we get a lot of tannin in the water. Incoming tides will pull fresh water from the gulf into the bay. So the Jetty/Pass area, and Crab Island will look nice and blue during an incoming tide.

On an outgoing tide you end up seeing the tanning-stained water from the rivers and bayou's flowing out to sea.

5. Re: crab island water clarity

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2015, 06:18