We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fires on Beach???

Conway, Arkansas
Level Contributor
288 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Fires on Beach???

When we were in Destin last week, a group built a fire on Miramar Beach...it was around 10p.m. All I could think was, "hey, put that out"!! Didn't want the mess on the beach tne next day. I was on the balcony watching them. An "official-looking" Walton County truck did drive up and talk to them but just left and the fire continued. Is this disconcerting to anyone else?

Mentioned in this post
Destin
Destin
Florida Panhandle, FL
Miramar Beach
Miramar Beach
Florida Panhandle, FL
Missouri
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
1,938 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fires on Beach???

I believe you must have a license to do that! Ask MBL, she had a bonfire one night that all of us DE's attended last year. I am pretty sure she had a license.

United States
Level Contributor
6,811 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fires on Beach???

Someone from our group looked into it last summer, but we didn't do it. A one night bonfire is allowed by permit from South Walton Fire Dept. Obviously you have to clean everything up afterwards. We also found some places that will put on a bonfire evening for you, at a cost which isn't too bad if you have a group to help pay.

Destin, FL
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fires on Beach???

In Walton County, you can get a permit, they will bring a barrel to a pre-determined location, and pick up the barrel the next morning... (MBL - correct me if I missed something here!)

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,900 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fires on Beach???

They no longer do the barrel thing. You have to provide a container for the fire yourself - because you have to remove it when you are done - totally clean up the area so it looks like you were never there or they will fine you. We just bought a cheap fire pit from Lowes. The permit is $50.00 and can not be within (I think) 100' yards of a turtle nest. No fires are allowed directly on the sand. Trust me if we had had a turtle nest anywhere within sight last October we would not have had the fire. The permits are granted by the fire dept on 393 - not South Walton County on 331.

Barb - might be having another one this October - friends from Chicago daughter is getting married on the beach and might do it the night before. Right now there is a turtle nest nearby - but it should be hatched by then, although the nests have been taking longer to hatch this year. Told the bride it all depends on the weather and the turtles.

Doughnut is right - there are companies that will handle it all for you.

Beachin - if it was on the sand of was illegal and dangerous. Surprised the Walton County vehicle didn't make them put it out.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Missouri
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
1,938 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fires on Beach???

MBL - Sounds great! Hope the bonfire is a go for October. Last year was AWESOME!

Conway, Arkansas
Level Contributor
288 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fires on Beach???

It was definitely on the sand; hopefully they cleaned it up afterwards; it was our last night, so couldn't verify the next day one way or the other; maybe that's what the official was speaking to them about; actually sounds a little intriguing, I was just worried about the potential damage to those beautiful white beaches!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
38 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fires on Beach???

Would LOVE have a fire on the beachalthough were staying at a condo on a private beach :( Does anyone know if were still able to get a permitt and do it there? Or would we have to be on a public beach? Thanks :) Were going on our wat home from Disneyworldfor 3 days 16-19th

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,900 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fires on Beach???

Still need permits even for private beach

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,614 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fires on Beach???

I looked up the info for a private beach and you have to bring written permission from the owners when you go to the Walton County Fire Station. No fires on the beach are allowed in Okaloosa County at all.

10. Re: Fires on Beach???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2015, 05:16