We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving From Minnesota?

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Driving From Minnesota?

We only have driven one way once, flew back home. This year, our dog is too old and weak, to leave with our son. So we are bringing him with us. When we drove down 5 years ago, I am sure we did not go the most logical way. My husband is a slave to the GPS, and we went whatever way it told us. I am amazed we actually ever arrived. We went down through Iowa, Missouri, and ended up staying in Jackson Tennessee. We did pass through Jackson, but then the GPS showed nothing for about 100 miles, so we turned around and stay there overnight.

So, my question is which way do you go, and where do you stop overnight? I am dreading doing this between a geriatric dog, and me, I pity my poor husband. Luckily we are extending our stay.

United States
Level Contributor
6,057 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Driving From Minnesota?

I'm sorry about your dog. We bring our dog to Destin in the winter when we stay longer. It's not bad driving with a dog, but then our dog sleeps most of the 2 day trip. I guess you might decide how far you can get in the first day. Maybe that will help you with your route.

You can't go wrong with any of the routes people take that direction. But if you don't like driving, maybe that one through Memphis, staying on 55 would be good. You'd have the same highway from St. Louis to Jackson, MS.

Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Driving From Minnesota?

It is not the driving of the car, it is just sitting still and being in the car that long. But I am going to take advantage of it, and bring everything I can think of that I have wanted down at the condo and could not get there. We have some pictures, lots of games etc to bring.

I am going to view it as an adventure, we will also save on car rental, and the money we paid for dog sitting, which was not cheap. So a few more dinners out for us.

I have admired people I know who get in the car and drive to Florida from MN for even just a weeks stay.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Driving From Minnesota?

We've been coming I-55 but then taking route 78 east (just south of Memphis) to Tupelo and then 45 south which brings you in on the north side of Mobile. You can also take 78 (becomes 22) over to I-65 but I've read about some of the construction issues although that could clear up before your drive.

Half-way would be around Sikeston Mo. Nice pet-friendly Drury Suites there, as is the original Lamberts restaurant (home of the throwed rolls).

Edited: 09 August 2014, 16:11
United States
Level Contributor
6,057 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Driving From Minnesota?

I totally understand the part about having to sit still in a car all day; drives me nuts. I can't read while riding, so that makes it worse. But you're right, you get to bring all those things you can't bring when you fly. Your dog will be happy to be with you too!

MO
Level Contributor
589 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Driving From Minnesota?

I'll throw in my 2 cents. We take I-55 out of St. Louis to Hayti, Mo. Then I-155 to Dyersburg,Tn to hwy 412 to Jackson, Tn. Then we take hwy 45 south all the way to north of Mobile,Al. Then we take hwy 158 to I-65. We take I-65 to I-165 to I-10. We take I-10 to Pensacola staying on I-10 to hwy 281 to 98. Take 98 into Destin. It takes us about 11.5 hrs from our home on the south side of St. Louis. I hope this helps, we have taken all imaginable routes over the last 33 years and find this the most easy route and least amount of traffic.

16. Re: Driving From Minnesota?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 August 2014, 02:05
United States
Level Contributor
6,057 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Driving From Minnesota?

RJ, I know you've mentioned that route before, and it might be the one that ttrixie took several years ago that she was trying to recall. I saved the post just in case I can talk my husband into going a different way. We've used parts of that route, but a little different in places.

18. Re: Driving From Minnesota?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 05:17