We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking December trip

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
40 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Booking December trip

We usually go to Destin in May, July, and September. But we got a wild hair to go again in December. Hoping for nice weather, I know it was crazy with snow and ice last year. I am sure there is another link with a similar question but aside from the beach strolls, and eating wonderful food, are there any must do's that time of the year. Looking at the week of the 13th.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
283 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking December trip

Might be a bit chilly at that time. Better bring a jacket. With that being said, we have many snowbirds that rent our place during the off months. No tourists and still very pretty.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,505 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking December trip

It will be around that time that they have the Harbor Christmas Boat Parade. This is a favorite of ours - Last year bitter cold but usually not bad and great to see all the Christmas decorated boats cruising through the harbor. They have live music and activities in Harborwalk during the day and then the parade around 6 pm. - Sunday in the middle of December.

Missouri
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking December trip

Can't get enough Destin! We have gone in November, but not December (yet). We go in June and October and love both times. Christmas in paradise sounds wonderful!

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,505 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking December trip

Definitely colder - but usually walking around in jeans and a fleece at night isn't bad for me - still might have some flip flops on.

Level Contributor
40 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking December trip

I figured the weather would be hit or miss. But heck, be cold in Oklahoma, or be cold in Destin. Easy choice. Ha ha. Hoping to get an unusually warm week. Thanks for some of the to-do's. I think we have narrowed down the dates. Just looking for a hotel condo or house. We already have a trip booked there for the end of may and one for July so trying to make this one cheap as possible. We have stayed at The Village Inn a few times for an inexpensive getaway. The people have always been nice and the location is perfect. But since we may possibly have to stay indoors more I was hoping for something beach front but under 1000 for the week. I have found a few places but by the time you add in taxes and admin fees it gets up there.

Niceville, Florida
Level Contributor
894 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking December trip

I can't say enough about how great it is to be here, in the Destin area, in the fall. The place turns from "rat-race" to ghost town. The rental prices are at their lowest, and the vendors are still open and trying to scratch out a living from the few remaining tourists and locals.

The weather is fantastic here up through Thanksgiving. But getting into mid-late December the nights may get cool. Someone mentioned the Christmas parades. The boat parade is great, but they also have city parades as well. It's a great time to golf some of the better courses and do it at a discount. Restaurants will have a lot of specials. And some of the fishing charters and party boats will still be operating if they have bookings.

Good time to visit. Hope you enjoy it.

MO
Level Contributor
589 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking December trip

We have been wanting to see the boat parade for years. I'm a Christmas light fanatic. MBL could you post when the parade is this year. I always have a hard time finding out in advance to make plans in time. Thanks.

Level Contributor
40 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking December trip

Thank you for the info. I have never swam in a heated pool. On a "normal" Destin December could you swim in a heated pool or would it be too chili for that. No big deal if not. But didn't know if I needed to make a big deal trying to get a place with a heated pool if it's too cold to swim.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,505 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking December trip

RJSTL - Looks like it is scheduled for the 14th of December this year.

United States
Level Contributor
6,144 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking December trip

Uco, we swim in a heated pool in Destin in February. That pool is kept very nicely warm. Getting out is another matter! A nice warm robe is needed in which to wrap yourself. December won't be as bad, but no doubt you will feel cold when wet.