We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving-Finding a 5 bedroom condo or house w/pool

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
OhioMac54
Level Contributor
163 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Thanksgiving-Finding a 5 bedroom condo or house w/pool

We are a large family from Ohio, Indiana and Florida seeking a central location along the Gulf Coast to spend Thanksgiving. There will be up to 8 adults and 7 kids (6-18 years old) and we decided the Destin area would be good location that everyone could reach in one days drive. We would like at least 5 bedrooms, a heated pool (or a heated community pool) and close to a nice beach. There are so many choices on VRBO that I decided I needed a little help narrowing the choices down as far as location and rentals. We wanted to be close to outside activities for the kids, including swimming, biking and hiking. We would like great seafood restaurants as well as locations for the kids to fish (either streams, rivers, lakes, or ocean). It would also be nice to have a movie theatre and a bowling alley close by in case the weather turns nasty. I know this is a lot in one gulp, but as I mentioned, this is just the start of my search and I would appreciate any suggestions or referrals. If you think Destin is the wrong location for what we planned, then I would appreciate that input also. Thank you.

United States
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving-Finding a 5 bedroom condo or house w/pool

Destin sounds like a great choice. There are quite a few big houses you could rent. Emerald Shores has a big nicely heated pool and vrbo# 227510 shows availability over Thanksgiving.

If your budget is higher, Destiny By The Sea is one of the nicest places to stay in Destin. These show availability:

vrbo# 134402, 287126, 504028, 330262, 56205, 43638, 21546, 592497.

If you go to vrbo for Destin, and choose Scenic Gulf Drive Central West, you can find these and more. Avalon Beach Estates is another good place to choose.

OhioMac54
Level Contributor
163 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving-Finding a 5 bedroom condo or house w/pool

Thanks Doughnut. Do you happen to know if the community pools in communities like Avalon Beach Estates are heated in November?

United States
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving-Finding a 5 bedroom condo or house w/pool

I don't know on what date they start heating any of the community pools, so it would be best to verify that with your owner or rental agency. Avalon Beach Estates has a beautiful pool. It is farther back in the community though, and is 3 blocks from Ballamore Rd, which is the first street. Also, the private pools probably cost extra to heat. We were told $30 a day before, so we passed. Maybe that could be negotiated.

All of the houses on Ballamore Rd. in Avalon are beautiful, and the ones on the south side of the street have magnificant views of the gulf.

4. Re: Thanksgiving-Finding a 5 bedroom condo or house w/pool

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 August 2014, 00:35
OhioMac54
Level Contributor
163 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanksgiving-Finding a 5 bedroom condo or house w/pool

Thank you for the responses.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Thanksgiving-Finding a 5 bedroom condo or house w/pool

Check VRBO and also look at homes in Destiny By The Sea.

VRBO Listing #21546

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,414 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thanksgiving-Finding a 5 bedroom condo or house w/pool

Another choice to check out

VRBO # 402600 in Watersound

5 bedrooms, 51/2 baths

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thanksgiving-Finding a 5 bedroom condo or house w/pool

Try also looking in the Crystal Beach neighborhood. It's centrally located - right off Mid bay bridge. Really no high rises nearby. Destin commons (mall), Uncle Bucks fishbowl (bowling/restaurant), and Bass Pro Shops is just on the other side of the road - hwy 98. Movie theatre is not too far as well. The Harborwalk and Baytowne Wharf are not far from you - getting there however depends on traffic. We stayed in a Crystal beach VRBO house with a pool this past July. Though we didn't need it, the owner was charging $100/wk for the pool heater. I like the idea of jumping into a private pool without the restriction of pool hours for a community pool. Just set your search filters to 'pool' and 'house' on VRBO to limit your responses in the area you are searching.

As for fishing, we only fished off the beach. You can get clean, cut frozen squid (frozen sand fleas disintegrate in water, I guess you could also try shrimp or cut up frozen baitfish) from Walmart. Use panfish sized hooks (size 6 or 8) and you will catch whatever is schooling along the beach, (you don't have to cast far from shore) which are usually pinfish and other species which I don't know the name of, but we caught several. I suggest to use pre snelled hooks - they're already attached to a line - cause sometimes the fish inhale the hook into their gullet. So if you pull the hook out, the fish will die. When this happened, I just cut the line at the mouth and let it go and reattached a new snelled hook. Walmart sell gulf rigs which have 2 or 3 places/swivels to attach a hook, and probably a 1oz sinker should suffice on the bottom. That saltwater will rust out the hook in no time, just don't get stainless steel hooks. Don't think you'll catch anything bigger than hand sized off the beach. There are also the jetties which I fished from - saw several large schools of fish swimming through there, but never caught any.

Destin, FL
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
2,833 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thanksgiving-Finding a 5 bedroom condo or house w/pool

I would stick to a house with a private pool and pool heater for guaranteed swimming ability... some of the HOA's can be hit or miss... (trying to save money)...

Destin sounds perfect for everything else you mentioned... 2 great/modern movie theaters, 2 Bowling alleys, an over-abundance of great seafood restaurants, great sidewalks for walking/biking, fishing - bay or gulf.. some coastal dune lakes as well, and of course THE Beach!!! It is still a great place to stroll, hang out, and play, but the Gulf will most likely be too cool for swimming... All this being said, we haven't even scratched the surface of all that you can do/enjoy in the area!

10. Re: Thanksgiving-Finding a 5 bedroom condo or house w/pool

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2015, 07:16