We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wedding/accomodations panhandle area

mi
1 post
Save Topic
wedding/accomodations panhandle area

hello,

We'd like to plan a June 2007 wedding for somewhere in the panhandle area beaches. Any ideas of where to hold a ceremony and accomodations for several families? thanks much,

Phil

Somewhere on the...
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: wedding/accomodations panhandle area

My son is getting married in April in Destin.The ceremony will take place at Henderson Beach State Park right on the beach.The reception will be held there also.It is a very popular spot for weddings.

He used a company called tropicalbeachwedding.com.They set them up with their own web-site,its very nice.

There are plenty of rooms and condos nearby.

Destin, Florida
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: wedding/accomodations panhandle area

You might want to try Silver Shells. You could have everything right on the grounds.

www.silvershells.com

They have conference rooms, condos and it is right on the beach. Also, there is a new Marriott affiliated with them that is opening in the Spring. I understand it is a very upscale place. Not your normal Marriott, a Condotel.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
400 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wedding/accomodations panhandle area

This past summer we used a photographer for our annual family picture. She was new to the area, coming from Texas. She and her husband do an amazing job with photography and have also begun a wedding business here on the coast. I don't recall that website, but her photography website should link you. It is: camera-shy-photography.com

We were very pleased with the photography.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wedding/accomodations panhandle area

You can reserve a pavilion at Beasley Park on Okaloosa Island (Fort Walton Beach) with a returnable deposit. Many resorts will charge you for a beach wedding, even tho most of the beach is public & they actually should not be doing that. I've seen weddings down at the El Matador resort, which is at the far west end of Okaloosa Island & it's government owned, undeveloped land from that point on, so it is a good place if you are looking for fewer crowds. They also have a nice room to rent, for a reception. I do know someone who was married there. If you have any more questions, you can email me & I will try to help: paw423@gmail.com. Better get those plans made asap, tho :-)

Somewhere on the...
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: wedding/accomodations panhandle area

5hour,did you make it down last week?

How does the new sand look?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
400 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wedding/accomodations panhandle area

I was there for three short days painting. But the beach looks amazing. There was still plenty of construction equipment on the sand in the Pompano Joe's area, but it should be moving out soon. From the balcony of our place we always had a great ocean view, now we can add the beach view to it as well.

Dayton, OH
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wedding/accomodations panhandle area

I'm sure you're set on your wedding venue now, but I just wanted to make a few suggestions for people who do a wedding search on these message boards and find this post......

First of all, a great resource of information is the message boards on theknot.com, click on talk, then choose the local boards tab, and there is one for the Panhandle area of FL. Lots of useful information on there.

Also, we had a pretty elegant wedding, and I had to plan from Dayton, Ohio, so we hired a wedding coordinator. We used Samntha Jackson Wedding. She's totally worth the cost of her service, as many of the wedding vendors either don't have websites, or are hard to find from just searching on google.com.

Here is the vendors we used:

-ceremony and reception held on beach at Sterling Sands in Destin (great location, has back-up confernce room for rain location, and guests can rent 1 bedroom-4 bedroom condos)

-used Destin DJ for DJ service (excellent)

-used Paradise Cuisine for catering (excellent)

-Souther Style Deserts (very good, but I would suggest using Publix....great cakes at a fraction of the price)

-Destin Floral Desgin (flowers turned out great, but they were expensive and hard to work with - I would suggest looking elsewhere)

-There are many great photogrpahers that were booked for my date....Eastern Hills Photography, Patsy Brown, Gwyne's Photography, etc.

Also want to suggest a few other great wedding locations: Santa Rosa Beach Club, Rutherford's 465, Beach Walk Cafe, Henderson Beach State Park

Lexington Ky
Level Contributor
360 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: wedding/accomodations panhandle area

Our family has vacationed in the South Walton area for 11 years. We started out staying in either Ft Walton Beach or Destin area. Both areas are so congested now that we moved further down. For the last 4 years we have been staying in the Santa Rosa Beach area. We have rented houses from the VRBO (vacation rental by owner) web site and have been pleased with each house (and found the descriptions/ratings to be helpful). This area is on a 2 lane road as opposed to Ft Walton/Destin being off a 5 lane highway. There is a bike path for miles and we usually rent bikes (the bike rental places deliver them to you). You can walk to several restaurants in the area.

9. Re: wedding/accomodations panhandle area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 19:18