We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to decide between condo & hotel

Nashville
2 posts
Save Topic
Trying to decide between condo & hotel

Coming down with spouse and 3 children under 5. Read many of the posts on the forum. Trying to decide between Silver Shells, Westwinds, Beachside 1/2 or Hilton. Looking to stay ocean front. Pool, beach and location are important.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to decide between condo & hotel

Read the reviews about the Hilton. I would suggest staying away from there. Plus with 3 children under 5, I think I may pull my hair out in a hotel.

A condo is the only way to go.

Silver Shells would be my recommendation.

Florida
Level Contributor
795 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to decide between condo & hotel

I agree with Semco. There is no comparison between a hotel room and a condo and you'll end up paying the same price. We found our condo on vrbo.com. We stayed at Marvilla. We have two kids and they loved it. It's not right on the beach was just across a two lane highway. We had an excellent view and they also have two pools. One facing the beach and the other towards the back of the complex.

Nashville
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to decide between condo & hotel

Thanks for the response. The Sandestin (Westwinds, Beachside 1/2) seem to offer more as a resort than the Silver Shells. Is this true or just marketing from Sandestin's side? Would like to be close to restaurants and other activities for children under 5. Which place would be better - Sandestin or Silver Shells?

Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to decide between condo & hotel

Hi there. I just wanted to give you one more option: SouthBay condos. You can check out the SouthBay website or Destin4U.com My family and my best friend's family have stayed at this property twice. The property is small, has amazing beach access and a large pool with a kiddie pool It was well located, half way on Hwy 98 -- handy to everything. We parked in front of the condo and everything was easy. Great for toddlers and young children. Our kiddos were 2 the first trip and 4 the second time. Check it out! It was much easier than staying at one of the massive hotels that you had to use and eleveator to get to the beach everytime you went! Have a great time in Destin.

Destin, Florida
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to decide between condo & hotel

Sandestin may be for you. The resort is huge with lots to do. The children activities are what I don't know a lot about, but i have heard they have some.

Check out the resort's website:

www.sandestin.com

Also, if you aren't renting through Sandestin, you may want to call to find out if you are able to take advantage of any special activities through them.

6. Re: Trying to decide between condo & hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 10:29