We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seacrest Beach in June; June grass presence?

Ohio
Level Contributor
736 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Seacrest Beach in June; June grass presence?

I just read a brief thread regarding June grass on the Panhandle. Since my family and I will be heading to Seacrest Beach June 9-16 and I have never heard of June grass, can someone enlighten me please? Is it likely to be present? How much of a nuisance is it? Is likely keep my 6 and 10 yr old children out of the water?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seacrest Beach in June; June grass presence?

We stayed in Seacrest Beach the second week of June 2006. There were remnants of June grass present, but it didn't keep my kids out of the water. June grass is an overgrowth of seaweed or algae in late May early June - it tends to wash ashore in droves and leaves the beaches looking rather unattractive. We did get lucky in that the waves from Hurricane Alberto off to the east on the early days of our vacation pretty much washed away what was left of the June grass. I was reading some of the threads on this subject from last year and it seemed like in most areas it was pretty much gone by the end of May - I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
919 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seacrest Beach in June; June grass presence?

We've gone the last 7 years that week. On the average there's been some, but it's never kept us out of the water. I would prefer that over jelly fish, which we've never encountered. We'll be there that week too. I like that time of the year because the weather has always been great. Have a great time!

Santa Rosa Beach...
Level Contributor
624 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seacrest Beach in June; June grass presence?

I don't think there is any way to predict June grass. It comes and goes based on wind and oceanographic conditions. If present, it is often very localized - you might find a bunch on one beach, and just a short distance away there is none. For what it's worth, I have spent about 2 weeks in Destin every June for the past 7 or so years, and I have never found June grass to be an especially bad problem. And I am highly aware of any algae in the water because I am an avid snorkeler, and June grass affects underwater visibility. The only time it was bad was one time I went in October about 8 years ago. At that time, it did detract from the aesthetic quality of the beach as the water was not crystal clear like it usually is. A 6 or 10 year old would still be able to play in the water; you would just have to spend a little extra time washing the algae out of their hair and off their swimming suits when they left the beach.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Seacrest Beach in June; June grass presence?

Hawkfish

That sure is a relief to hear. I guess the fact that it is localized explains what happened to us last year in FWB third week in May. I was wondering is it usually heavier in that area and less as you go east. Or just my incredible bad luck. You could not get in the water it was so thick. The only person I saw was in a kayak way out. We still had a good time. vacation is what you make of it. Just was hoping to avoid the "slime" again. Also wondering if the algea is usually heavier in May, would we be better off going in June.

Ohio
Level Contributor
736 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seacrest Beach in June; June grass presence?

Thanks for the helpful info. Missingthesand, you hit the nail on the head: "vacation is what you make of it".

Santa Rosa Beach...
Level Contributor
624 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seacrest Beach in June; June grass presence?

MissingTheSand,

I think it was very bad luck. I believe I remember seeing pictures in the Destin newpaper of huge windrows of algae washed on the beach in Okaloosa Island last May. We are talking serious quantities of algae here. Although I am not a resident so I wasn't there at that time, it was my understanding from the newspaper that things weren't so bad in Destin. If you had left your condo's beach and gone to another beach, say perhaps Henderson State Park in Destin, maybe the beach would have been o.k.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Seacrest Beach in June; June grass presence?

thanks so much hawkfish. i am so glad to hear it was bad luck we reallylike late may. prices are lower and crowds are less before school is out. wish i had a glass ball to tell me about the weather and algea/seaweed thanks

8. Re: Seacrest Beach in June; June grass presence?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 23:18