We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

budget lodging needed next May near Manasota Key

Which Englewood hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
budget lodging needed next May near Manasota Key

We happened on Manasota Key a couple of weeks ago, and instantly fell in love. Our 2 favorite beaches were Blind Pass & Stump Pass (I think that's the name). We were staying on Venice Beach for a week, and found the beaches while taking the scenic route (yes - we were lost) to Sanibel Island. We never made it any farther than Manasota Key that day, or the next. We spent 2 full days finding shells, sharks teeth, and even a few sand dollars. The beaches were the best!!! We've decided to go there next spring instead of returning to Sanibel or Venice. We'll have our daughter, son-in-law and their 2 yr. old with us that trip, so will be looking for a place within 15-20 minutes of those beaches. A pool would be a nice bonus. We definitely don't need anything fancy (we tent camp in the NY Adirondacks every summer), and are looking to spend as little as possible on the room, so that we can spend more on dinners, boat trips, etc. Our only requirement is a clean bed and shower. We don't cook in much while vacationing, but a microwave and fridge are always nice. We've been able to find extremely cheap lodging in May on Venice and Sanibel, and are wondering if anything is available in the Manasota Key area in the $500/week range. A place with a double bed and double sofa-bed will work fine, as we use a porta-crib for the baby. I'm sure this sounds ridiculous to many, but we spend the majority of our time outside, and only are in our room to sleep. By keeping the costs down, we are able to do several vacations each year. We're heading to Maine in June, camping in Aug., and Louisville, KY in Sept. Any suggestions would be appreciated. By the way, was it a fluke that we found shells, sharks teeth and sand dollars while there, or are they usually found on those beaches? We couldn't believe all of the goodies :-) and the beaches were beautiful and uncrowded. We even saw a turtle and a large lizard??? near the bath house.

Conshy, PA
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: budget lodging needed next May near Manasota Key

Check out the Seafarer. It's on Manasota Key. Why stay near when you could stay ON? I stayed there over the Memorial Day Weekend, and we loved the place!!! Heated pool (88 degrees), apartment-style rooms with electric stove, full fridge, and Satellite TV.

Our room faced the pool and the gulf was about 30 steps from our door to the right. Fishing was good in the morning around high tide - saw very few people out on the beaches around 7AM, and few more during the day. Had a pod of dolphins swim so close, we could see them with our goggles and we even heard them chattering to each other underwater- SOO cool! I highly recommend staying there, and will definitely be back. Ask for Georgie, and tell her she's the best!!

florida
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: budget lodging needed next May near Manasota Key

Check out McCarthy's Inns. We stayed there for 8 days the week before Memorial Day 2007 and it was great. Clean, reasonable and a very small complex (3 2 bedroom, 1 1 bedroom and a cottage). It is right on the beach, very near to the Public Beach. It has full kitchens (no pool) but it is perfect for the beach. We too, stay all day on the beach and only use the room to sleep. You may want to check out Casey Key too. No commercialization either and very quiet. We go at least once or twice a year. It is just north of

Venice and also a barrier island.

New York
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: budget lodging needed next May near Manasota Key

Thank you both for the responses. I was away for awhile, and this is the first time I thought to check for answers. I REALLY appreciate your taking the time to make these suggestions.

Indianapolis
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: budget lodging needed next May near Manasota Key

I've been vacationing for more than 20 years on Englewood Beach with my family. The shells, shark's teeth and sand dollars you found were not out of the ordinary. There is usually a sandbar just off the beach if you REALLY want to find the sand dollars! Congrats on finding this little piece of heaven on earth. By the way, we stay at Pelican's Landing. It's about the only place on the island with the pool on the beach rather than the Bay.

New York
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: budget lodging needed next May near Manasota Key

Andiekk, Pelican's Landing sounds great. As soon as we confirm our travel dates, I'm going to see about availibility. I really fell in love with Sanibel Island a few years ago, and was amazed to find that I liked Manasota Key even better. Thank you so much for your help. I'll be out the look-out for the sandbar at low tide. what time of year do you go?

springfield...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: budget lodging needed next May near Manasota Key

You would love our unit 212 at Sunburst Condominiums. It is 2 bed. with king size bed, 2 twins, sleeper sofa, and porta crib. It has free highspeed internet. It also has a gorgeous pool. Unlike most places, we pay the cleaning fee.Our unit is 50 steps to the beach and there is also wonderful fishing from the dock on Lemon Bay. Our beach is always loaded with teeth and fossils. Check out Sunburstcondos.com. or call our on-site manager Susan at 941-4743-0096 tsnspringfield

New York
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: budget lodging needed next May near Manasota Key

Thank you tsnspringfield, for your response. I checked out the website, and totally agree that this looks fabulous. It's a bit more than I'd hoped to spend, but may be worth the extra for the convenience of not having to drive to the beach daily. I found a couple of private homes that are a very good deal, but both are located app. 15-20 minutes from the beaches, in town. I'm going to try calling Susan a little later this am to see if there is an opening in your unit when we'll be coming in May. If we decide to use it, would you be able to give us some tips on restaurants, groceries, places to possibly see a manatee, etc. Thanks!

Dunkirk, New York
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: budget lodging needed next May near Manasota Key

Four adults stayed in one of the units at Sunburst Condominiums in March of 2007 and found it to be absolutely wonderful! We explored the entire area during the week that we were down there and fell in love with it so much that we went back down in May and purchased a home for our retirement. We can't move down for several years, but we decided to take advantage of the real estate bubble "burst" and secured a home about 10-minutes from the beautiful beaches of Manasota Key. Other than Sunburst Condos, I would suggest looking at VRBO.com. That is where individuals post their properties for rent and in a round-about way, that is how we found Sunburst. Just enter Manasota Key at VRBO and find something that suits you and your price range. We have used this service several other times for different destinations very successfully. You can also try contacting Gulf Coast Rentals.com through which we found a nautical suite belonging to essammot@aol.com. This was on the other end of Manasota Key just a 5 minute walk over the intercoastal bridge to Manasota Beach. We stayed there for the week we went down in May and found it to be wonderful also.

Getting back to Manasota Key, some of the best places to eat are Mama's for great Italian fare and Farlow's for riverfront dining and excellent food, both in Englewood up Route 776. There was also a well-hidden Tropical Grill with Cuban food that was outstanding. Hope you've found a place to stay. Enjoy!

New York
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: budget lodging needed next May near Manasota Key

rosensuesue - thanks for your response. We have sent a deposit for a home we found to rent in Rotondo West. I'm hoping it's not too long of a drive to the beaches. I really appreciate the tips on restaurants - we'll be sure to try them. I'm hoping to go back in Oct. and plan to check out some other places for that time, so I'll check out essammot@aol.com. Again, thanks for the first hand tips.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
365 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: budget lodging needed next May near Manasota Key

I think you will be very happy in Rotonda West. It is about 15 minutes to beaches- homes in Rotonda are gorgeous!

Get answers to your questions about Englewood