We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

budget lodging needed next May near Manasota Key

Which Englewood hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
92 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
budget lodging needed next May near Manasota Key

We happened on Manasota Key a couple of weeks ago, and instantly fell in love. Our 2 favorite beaches were Blind Pass & Stump Pass (I think that's the name). We were staying on Venice Beach for a week, and found the beaches while taking the scenic route (yes - we were lost) to Sanibel Island. We never made it any farther than Manasota Key that day, or the next. We spent 2 full days finding shells, sharks teeth, and even a few sand dollars. The beaches were the best!!! We've decided to go there next spring instead of returning to Sanibel or Venice. We'll have our daughter, son-in-law and their 2 yr. old with us that trip, so will be looking for a place within 15-20 minutes of those beaches. A pool would be a nice bonus. We definitely don't need anything fancy (we tent camp in the NY Adirondacks every summer), and are looking to spend as little as possible on the room, so that we can spend more on dinners, boat trips, etc. Our only requirement is a clean bed and shower. We don't cook in much while vacationing, but a microwave and fridge are always nice. We've been able to find extremely cheap lodging in May on Venice and Sanibel, and are wondering if anything is available in the Manasota Key area in the $500/week range. A place with a double bed and double sofa-bed will work fine, as we use a porta-crib for the baby. I'm sure this sounds ridiculous to many, but we spend the majority of our time outside, and only are in our room to sleep. By keeping the costs down, we are able to do several vacations each year. We're heading to Maine in June, camping in Aug., and Louisville, KY in Sept. Any suggestions would be appreciated. By the way, was it a fluke that we found shells, sharks teeth and sand dollars while there, or are they usually found on those beaches? We couldn't believe all of the goodies :-) and the beaches were beautiful and uncrowded. We even saw a turtle and a large lizard??? near the bath house.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
120 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: budget lodging needed next May near Manasota Key

I checked out McCarthy's Inns for our family in May. It's less than 500 for the week which is a GREAT price for us. We too just needed something close to the beach with an extra bedroom to hide from the baby at night. We also like to spend our money on dinners and entertainment out. We have some family in the Englewood area, they checked it out and said it was clean and RIGHT on the beach.

Thanks to whomever posted that suggestion and the original poster should def. check it out!

Michele

New York
Level Contributor
92 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: budget lodging needed next May near Manasota Key

Hi Mushy1127,

Great to hear that your relatives approved of McCarthy's. Although I have a home rental for May, I'll be returning in October with a couple of my sons, and possibly my hubby. I was planning to check it out myself during my stay in May. I hope you have a wonderful stay. I'd love it if you shared your favorite restaurants, etc. on your return home so that I can check them out in Oct.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
120 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: budget lodging needed next May near Manasota Key

I will do that! We have an almost 2 year old so they may be more family friendly than you need. But I will certainly let you know!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,980 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: budget lodging needed next May near Manasota Key

the trip to Manasota key from our house in Rotonda west is 13 mins- I timed it in Jan lol!

New York
Level Contributor
92 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: budget lodging needed next May near Manasota Key

13 minutes is better than I'd hoped for - yippee. For all of you locals and long time visitors - I have a question and I realize the answer varies greatly based on the weather/tides/seasons, etc., but am hoping to get a general idea. When we stayed in Venice last April, we stayed right on the beach and were very excited about being able to use the tide chart to go out at low tide to search for "goodies" (shells, shark's teeth, sandollars...). We were so dissappointed to find almost nothing. After talking to the locals, we were told that everything had been buried when they did the sand replenishment project there. So we did day trips for the rest of the vacation- the first couple of days to Sanibel, and then we found Manasota Key. (I'm getting to my question, I promise) While there, we found Blind Pass Beach to be abundant with shells, and shark's teeth. I even found a couple of sandollars one morning. So, my question is: was this a fluke, or is this beach known for it's "goodies". This will be the first time my daughter and grandaughter are accompanying me, and I'm excited about watching them find buried treasures for the first time. It seemed to me that I found more by walking down the beach, away from the bathrooms, heading back towards Venice. I was worried though, because that area seemed to have more private homes/cottages and I wasn't sure if I was trespassing (I stayed down on the beach, and never went up near the homes). Is this frowned on? Is there a better beach for treasure hunting on Manasota Key that's public? We tend to avoid the swimming area with the Lifeguards in favor of the less busy areas. A lady mentioned a sand-bar being the place to look for sandollars, and I waded out up to my neck, but never noticed any obvious difference to indicate the sand-bar. I had goggles, but it was very churned up that day. My daughter has purchased a large oval mirror with a wide wood frame that she wants to cover with shells, etc from this trip. I made one from a trip to Sanibel a few years back, and it's beautiful.

Any tips/suggestions are greatly appreciated. I have a great list of places to eat now, thanks to suggestions from this forum.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,980 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: budget lodging needed next May near Manasota Key

Sue,

My last few trips involved no beachcombing as I was too busy looking at property/fixing up our house for rental. But will check out Stump Pass Beach for you next time I go for sure.

second, as long as you stay below the high water mark you are not trespassing for sure. Have fun strolling and see how the other half lives lol. I do.

I haven't eaten Pizza when out in Englewood since 1999, but was thinking of trying Mama's next visit. If anyone has a better idea let us know. I generally like to have a water view and/or have seafood when I am eating out there.

17. Re: budget lodging needed next May near Manasota Key

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2008, 10:03
18. Re: budget lodging needed next May near Manasota Key

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 06:24
Get answers to your questions about Englewood