We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st timer

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
1st timer

Not been to this area before, usually go Anna Maria Island. Tempted by what I`ve heard about it though.

Looking at a couple of places on Manasota Key.

Is this a nice area ?

Are the beaches good ?

What local restaurants to try ?

Any ideas for activities other than the beach ?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,436 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st timer

There are 4 beaches on Manasota Key. From the s to N they are Stump Pass, Englewood, Blind Pass, Manasota key. They are all nice, Englewood is busiest, but has good facitities and several places to eat/shop across the rd incl Lock and Key and Gulfview Grille.

Tons of other places to eat around and about, it would help if we knew your likes/budget/travel distances acceptible.

As far as other activites Fishing and boating and golf are the top 3.

you'll have to wait around for a bit for more responses. This is a slow board, and it is high season there at the moment so I think lots will be there on holiday at the moment.

Northern Ireland
Destination Expert
for Rotonda West
Level Contributor
748 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st timer

Hi,

This is an absolutely wonderful area - it is the real Florida - a wonderful old town family beach resort ....... and no highrises!

Amanx has taken you through the areas around Manasota Key, but I would also recommend Boca Grande and Gasparilla - the beaches there are just fabulous - clear blue waters and powder soft sand. Boca is a very quaint little town, where the billionaires buy property from the millionairs! But if you want a really relaxing break with great beaches, numerous fishing opportunities and 99 holes of golf within a 10 minute drive - then Englewood and Rotunda is the place.

Rotunda West and Rotunda Lakes have wonderful luxury homes either backing on to a canal or golf course or nature reserve - the choice is yours. They are all in driving distance of all the beaches that have been mentioned, but also in between the cultural areas of Sarasota and Fort Myers if you want to move the pace up a bit.......

As for restaurants, well we are close to the ocean, so some of the best restaurants are fish restaurants, although those meat lovers will not be left out with some great steakhouses and grills offering you plenty of choice. One of my favourites for a nice day out is Rum Bay on Palm Island. You can go to Palm Island Marina at Placida and catch the small foot passenger ferry (for $1.00 per person). This ferry will take you to Palm Island in about 25 minutes. Once there you can taken in the casual Rum Bay Restaurant before heading to the wide open beach - and most of the time you will be by yourself! It is a great day out and lovely for sunbathing, shelling and basically just kicking back and enjoying Florida the way it should be enjoyed!

The Fishery and Farlows by the Water are also great haunts, as is the Palmetto Grill, Gulf View Grill on Englewood Beach.

Another favourite of mine (and where we spent New Year's Eve) is South Beach on Boca Grande - fabulous food with a view to die for - you can actually have your lunch or dinner on the beach with the sand between your toes! Pink Elephant and Temptations on Boca is also renowned for fine dining.

Shopping is plentiful - Port Charlotte is 10 mins drive away, and then you can head to either Sarasota or Fort Myers for even more. Best outlets are at Miramar (Exit 123) past Fort Myers. Gulf Coast Shoppes also good at (Ext 128).

So what are you waiting for - come and visit this paradise, that so many of us have fallen in love with! If you need any further info, then please e-mail me on rosemaryneill@hotmail.com.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,436 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st timer

Rosemary,

I'm going to cal the CC tourist board and nominate you for a position lol! well done I say!

Northern Ireland
Destination Expert
for Rotonda West
Level Contributor
748 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st timer

Amanx,

Hope you got all your shopping done. Would love to hear how you got on - email me!

Rosemary

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st timer

Thanks for your help

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,436 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st timer

Steve,

Gasparilla is really really nice. Do go there if even for a visit. Feels much more tropical with the Sea Grapes and things there. Very charming- def go to South Beach Grill.

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
41 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st timer

Rosie:

I'll be in Englewood the end of this week. How far of a drive is it to Palm Island?

I second your suggestion on Farlows. Excellent food.

Northern Ireland
Destination Expert
for Rotonda West
Level Contributor
748 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st timer

sorry - only picking this up now. Englewood to Palm Island marina is 5/7 min drive. Then 25 mins on small ferry. Worth the trip!

Enjoy

9. Re: 1st timer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 08:19
Get answers to your questions about Englewood
Recent Conversations