We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions for those familiar with Manasota Key

Which Englewood hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
8 posts
Save Topic
Questions for those familiar with Manasota Key

Hey gang-

My wife and I will be on the Key in a couple of weeks...finally getting out of the cold! My first time on Manasota Key....we are staying at McCarthy's Inns. I have a bunch of (hopefully easy) questions:

1. How close are the Inns from restaurants/bar(s)? Walking or biking distance? If we have a 'few too many', are cabs available?

2. What is the "Tiki Bar" (next to the Captain's Club?) like? Is it a good beach bar, i.e., good drink specials, seafood, tables on the beach, live bands, etc??

3. Are there good half-day fishing charters nearby? Expensive or cheap?

4. Is there a place to rent jet-skis nearby?

I know it's a lot, but any feedback you can provide would be helpful. As always, your personal suggestions are welcome! Thanks for your time!

massachusetts usa
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions for those familiar with Manasota Key

Hi, I have been visiting Englewood for about 10 years and can hopefully help out with some answers. I didn't get a chance to go last March, but am heading there in a couple weeks also.

I looked up where McCarthy's Inns is located and their website says a 1/4 mile from the public beach in Englewood, so yes restaurants/bars are in walking distance if 1/4 mile is walkable for you. The Lock and Key is a nice restaurant and there is also another next to it which I can't remember the name. There is also a store 24 for supplies, as well as a beach shop with clothes, flip flops etc. Around the corner there's take out pizza and another bar with pool tables. Walking toward the public beach from your lodging will bring you to these.

The Tiki Hut is a little bit further and you'll have to cross the street either at a rotary or across toward the beach and again after the rotary. These roads aren't busy. It's been a few years since I was there last, and at that time none of these served breakfast. Also these places close their kitchens fairly early (9pm) as do most of the restaurants in town. The Tiki Hut will have a band from 4-6 and again from 7-9 (this is as close to the times as I can remember). It's usually Jimmy Buffet type music, either one man or a small band. It's not on the beach, but on the intracoastal. Boats will pull in and you should be able to see boats going by. The bar with the pool tables is probably open the latest and has the youngest crowd and might have a band that is more "rock" music. Englewood is pretty quiet in general, and things close early, so if you plan on partying go out early!

About a 1/2 mile past the Store 24 (or Circle K, can't remember) is a bridge across the intracoastal. On the other side is Jet Ski rentals and boat rentals. Ask the hotel the names. I can't ever find websites for them.

I have seen lots of people surf casting and fishing off docks. Not sure about charters.

Hope this helps. Will be happy to answer anything else I can.

8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions for those familiar with Manasota Key

Insearchofsummer-

Thanks for the great information! Just what I am looking for! Only a few more days!

3. Re: Questions for those familiar with Manasota Key

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 13:17
Get answers to your questions about Englewood
Recent Conversations