We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TV, Telephone & Internet

Which Englewood hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wigan
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Topic
TV, Telephone & Internet

We have been told that our new house will have cable tv. Does this usually mean that we can just plug in our tv and it will work, or do we need to contact a cable company and pay a monthly fee like in the UK. Also, does this cable usually give a similar service as UK CABLE - TV, Telephone, Internet. Or do we need to do this separately. If so, can anyone give me the names of the companies that provide these services please.

Regards

Janet

Yorkshire Dales...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TV, Telephone & Internet

You will need to pay for cable tv. We used to have cable at our house but now have satelite. We also have telephone and internet seperately. The problem that we came up against a number of years ago was that you tend to be limited without a US social security number and companies have a tendency to require a lump sum putting down in order to get an idea of how you will run your account. this is only our experience and things may have changed in the last few years. We got the cable through the community that the house is situated on but we have our phone and internet through embark. The satelite tv is through direct tv who have been very good. Our home is in Kissimmee/Winter Garden area.

Northern Ireland
Destination Expert
for Rotonda West
Level Contributor
744 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TV, Telephone & Internet

Janet,

As the previous post has said, by having cable means that you house has been wired to receive cable TV, but you still need a provider and pay the usual monthly fee to receive this.

We use Embarq for Dish Network TV, Telephone service (local and long distance) and high speed wireless internet connection. Yes you will have jump through some hoops without a SS number. No problem getting TV service or high speed internet - you will have to sign up with them and get a notarised document sent to them to confirm who you are and that you are UK citizen with a holiday home in Florida. Dish Network TV will require a SS no, but if you have a management company, they can get this sorted for you. I have had absolutely no problems whatsoever with Embarq - they provide good service and their rate for the triple bundle is around $110 per month, which is pretty good. Look them up on the Internet -Embarq.com and then give them a call. Explain your circumstances and they will tell you the information you need to provide to them - ie notarised copy of your driver's licence and passport. They will then provide you with your telephone number and then you decide what you want from there.

Comcast are also another company who provide triple play (telephone/internet/tv service) - although the TV service is via cable which some don't like.

Any other questions, let me know.

Rosiebabe

Northern Ireland
Destination Expert
for Rotonda West
Level Contributor
744 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TV, Telephone & Internet

... whoops should have said no problem getting telephone service and high speed internet without a SS number - the big bug bearer is the Dish Network TV! Was typing too quickly and only realised my mistake.....

South Florida...
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TV, Telephone & Internet

YOu have a couple of choices here in Englewood ~ Comcast does have a package that includes phone, TV and hign speed Internet. Verizon is your other option.

Northern Ireland
Destination Expert
for Rotonda West
Level Contributor
744 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TV, Telephone & Internet

.... Gringo, don't forget Embarq - that is who our supplier is and we are based in Rotonda.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,954 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TV, Telephone & Internet

I have the comcast bundle, $100 a month for all three bundled. I have a soc sec number so that wasn't a prob for me.

You will eventualy have a taxpayer ID as you will pay taxes on your rental and can use that. In the mean time, ask your manager to help?

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: TV, Telephone & Internet

While it is more likely to mean that the house is wired for cable tv, it could also mean that in that subdivision (as it is called over here), the homeowners association fees (or maintenance fees if they exist) include the fee for cable tv.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TV, Telephone & Internet

As an Englewood resident I would doubt if your cable is included in ay association or home owners fee. I am not familiar with Embarq and have my service with Comcast. My only problem was I could not have the phone service as my cable outlet and phone jack were on separate walls and I was not willing to have another jack installed. I basically use my cell phone with unlimited minutes and long distance.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TV, Telephone & Internet

Sorry, I forgot to tell you that where I live in Englewood (Manasota Key) Embarq is not available.

10. Re: TV, Telephone & Internet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 01:16
Get answers to your questions about Englewood