We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in or around Englewood

DUBLIN, IRELAND
10 posts
Save Topic
Shopping in or around Englewood

Hello, can anyone tell me about outlets, shopping malls or christmas shops in or around Englewood.

I am writing from Dublin, Ireland and am hoping to get to Englewood on a holiday quite soon.

If anyone reading this has travelled from Ireland I would very much appreciate hearing what airline or holiday company they used, if possible.

Thank you

Jacinta9

Northern Ireland
Destination Expert
for Rotonda West
Level Contributor
747 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in or around Englewood

Hi Jacinta,

Well - I hope you have a wonderful time in Englewood. We have been travelling there for over 11 years and absolutely love it. Now have our own home that we go to 3/4 times a year which is just great.

Englewood and the surrounding area has wonderful beaches and golf courses if you are into that. As for shopping, we are bang in the middle of great shopping. There is a shopping mall about 20 mins south in Port Charlotte, also 2 30 mins north in Sarasota. All 3 are great and have the usual staples of Macys, Dillards, JC Pennys, Bealls, Old Navy, Hollister et etc etc. As for outlets, well there is Ellenton about 1 hour north (by Bradenton - a very easy drive) and Miromar (which IMO is the best) 1 hour south at Fort Myers. There is also a great outdoor mall, Coconut Point at Fort Myers on the US 41 - well worth a trip to! Also Gulf Town Shoppes, again at Fort Myers - great for shopping, restaurants and entertainment with cinemas etc.

As I say I travel regularly from ireland and our preferred route is to use either Tampa airport of Fort Myers. Fort Myers is quite expensive to fly to, but it is a great little airport and only a 40 min drive to Englewood. Tampa is about 1 hr 40 min from Englewood, but again quite a pleasant drive (all highway). You can use Continental, Delta or Aer Lingus and use their connecting hub to transfer to either Tampa or Fort Myers. For the first time in quite a few years we are heading via London with BA - mainly because the Euro rate is so poor for us, it is too expensive to fly from Dublin. But we got great rates on the BA direct flight to Tampa, so that is another route for you!.

Good luck with your planning and if you need any other tips, then just shout - more than happy to offer any advice that I can about this whole area.

Rosiebabe

DUBLIN, IRELAND
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in or around Englewood

Gawd thank you SO much for taking the time to answer with all the welcoming info, u really are something else! It is all helpful, every bit so a million thanks once again.

im delighted with the sound of the place, wont be driving but theres probably buses etc to a lot of those places, also hopefully we'll do a few coach trips to explore.

Is it mild or very hot just now, do you know?

Thanks again, very much appreciated.

Jacinta

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
129 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in or around Englewood

Hi Jacinta9

I can't really add much to what Rosiebabe has said, but you may struggle with public transport, is there a reason why you don't want to drive because all the places mentioned by Rosiebabe are easily accessible by car but wouldn't have a clue where to start if we were to try and get public trasport, I don't even recall seeing a bus in Englewood but that may be because I am just not looking.

Where are you thinking of staying? Are you wanting to stay in Englewood itself or Rotonda West, either/or you won't be disappointed but would strongly recommend a car otherwise you will be out on a limb a bit.

You will love the whole area, it is true Florida.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
527 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in or around Englewood

The Sarasota County portion of Englewood would be serviced by the SCAT bus system, but they are few and far between. I don't know if there is a bus system for the Charlotte County half. Please don't depend on buses to get around or you will be so terribly disappointed.

The temp's have been in the low 70's F. lately - today is overcast and rainy and cool (by Florida standards that is) at 62 at the momemt. A cool front is suppose to come thru again nect week which will knock the temps back down to the 60's. But the sunshine is pretty much always bright and warm (except for today).

If your looking for small specialty shops, both Englewood and Venice have the best.

DUBLIN, IRELAND
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping in or around Englewood

Thank you Whinnie for your help, Rosiebabe was so generous with her information and yours adds to the bigger picture.

Cant drive so it will limit me i suppose but have allowed within my budget to cover taxis, am just hoping they are in abundance! There are probably

Coach Companies I can do day trips on to places of interest but will be doing a lot of relaxing.

Booked everything here from Dublin and we'll be staying at the Quality Inn so hopefully that is ok.

Thanks once again for your help.

Jacinta9

DUBLIN, IRELAND
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping in or around Englewood

Thanks Mustangsally for your information, it sounds lovely out there and i think just one light cardigan will do me.

Cant drive so will see what the Tourist Office have on offer, I'll get to the shops somehow!

Thanks again

Take care

Jacinta

DUBLIN, IRELAND
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping in or around Englewood

Thanks Mustangsally for your information, it sounds lovely out there and i think just one light cardigan will do me.

Cant drive so will see what the Tourist Office have on offer, I'll get to the shops somehow!

Thanks again

Take care

Jacinta

South Florida...
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping in or around Englewood

Not driving may put a thorn in some of your travel plans. I just checked on taxi service from Englewood to Ft. Myers airport and it was $125.00 each way. Englewood has no public transportation other than taxi's so that is a bummer. You may want to consider Sarasota as they do have SCAT bus service. Englewood's shopping is, to say the least, sparse as it is actually a small fishing village with one main street (Dearborn). I would think you might not enjoy your holiday here in Englewood without transportation as there really are few places within walking distance. The beaches are all on Manasota Key...there are four on the island. I live on the Key year round and know for a fact if you are really looking for some good shopping you will be disappointed. I usually shop in Sarasota or go on up to Ellenton for the Outlet Mall. If I can help in any way just let me know.

DUBLIN, IRELAND
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping in or around Englewood

Thanks Gringo for your information. Have already booked the holiday so will just have to take me chances but am getting a bit 'fluttery' re transport, never even occurred to us there might not be public transport so hopefully there'll be beaches to relax on and coach trips we can book.

You were very kind to write your comments so thanks a lot.

Jacinta

Northern Ireland
Destination Expert
for Rotonda West
Level Contributor
747 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping in or around Englewood

Jacinta,

You have got lots of good information on this thread, but like others have said, I would worry that you will not get to take full advantage of this area without a car. To be honest when I wrote my posting, I just assumed that you would have a rental car to get around this whole area and the West Coast of Florida.

As others have pointed out there is no public transport within this area and unfortunately I cannot comment on the cost of taxis, locals would be best advised to give you that. The Quality Inn is located on McCall Road which is the main route from Sarasota/Venice thro to Port Charlotte, and whilst you are only a few miles from the beach, you are not going to be able to walk it. Can I ask why you chose Englewood when you don't drive? Did a travel agent recommend and book it for you. If so, then they did not give you good advice. I am not trying to put you off this area, as it is a wonderful area, but without a car of your own you will struggle. I am just being honest like others on this site. If you haven't paid for your accommodation, then perhaps you should think of another resort along the Gulf Coast - perhaps St Petes Beach or Clearwater - yes they are more touristy and less laid back Florida (IMO), but they may service your needs better than Englewood.

Rosiebabe

Get answers to your questions about Englewood
Recent Conversations