We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

englewood versus Fort Myers Beach

Toronto, Canada
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
englewood versus Fort Myers Beach

We have an opportunity to rent from a friend in englewood. Its not on the beach. We normally love beach front, but the price of the condo is very appealing. What is englewood like for a family with a 6 year old? Would fort myers be a better choice?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,141 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: englewood versus Fort Myers Beach

Is it in Englewood on the mainland or Manasota Key? Englewood being on the mainland means driving over the bridge to get to the beaches. But it is a short hop really.

Englewood is a nice small fairly quiet town. It is adjacent to Manasota Key which has 4 beaches, 3 of them fantastic, the other one is OK. One great thing is you can find lots of shark's teeth on these beaches.

FMB is large, busy and built up. Great sand, but the water is nicer up off Manasota. If you like quiet old florida choose englewood. If you like busy, bustling, with a strip full of bars/restaurants you'll like FMB.

Both have their pluses and minuses but both are good places to visit.

Mentioned in this post
Englewood
Englewood
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Manasota Key Beach
Manasota Key Beach
797 Reviews
Englewood, FL
Orlando
Level Contributor
104 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: englewood versus Fort Myers Beach

Which beach is just OK? Which is best?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,141 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: englewood versus Fort Myers Beach

I like Stump pass and Blind pass beaches.

Englewood beach (the main beach when you first drive over) is the OK perfectly nice beach. But not as nice as the other 3.

Manasota beach is in the far north of the island. Convenient of you are staying up towards Jacaranda or Venice but too far for me.

Mentioned in this post
Englewood Beach
Englewood Beach
730 Reviews
Englewood, FL
Venice
Venice
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Orlando
Level Contributor
104 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: englewood versus Fort Myers Beach

Thanks. I didn't see any places to stay on Stump Pass beach, at least from an ariel view in Google Maps. The area I mentioned (maybe in another post) was on Wilhelm drive. It doesn't look like there is general parking for the public there, so I may sharing the beach with a few other renters?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,141 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: englewood versus Fort Myers Beach

Stump pass is a state park, so no houses. But if you are on the southern end of EB (and you appear to be), you can stroll there.

and yes, you will mostly be sharing the beach with just the others who are are there, or who walk there from public access.

The good news is that as Stump pass is a state park, and you have to pay to park, that you won't need to unlike me as you are close enough to walk there ;-)

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,673 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: englewood versus Fort Myers Beach

I like FMB because I want to be gulf front and most condos are right on the beach. I have heard nice things about Englewood too.Watching the sunset from my condo is a major treat for me.

Mentioned in this post
Englewood
Englewood
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,141 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: englewood versus Fort Myers Beach

They are both great, but both really different. Although most condos are gulf front in EB too.

If you like to be near action, you need someplace like FMB.

If you want less people and more peace and quiet, then EB could be your place.

Sand quality is a bit higher in FMB, but Englewood has sharks teeth and less cloudy water most times. they really are nothing alike but both are good places.

Mentioned in this post
Englewood
Englewood
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Pompano Beach...
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: englewood versus Fort Myers Beach

Here is a site with pictures and info for Manasota Key.

Hope this helps

http://www.beachhunter.net/manasotakey.htm

Mentioned in this post
Manasota Key Beach
Manasota Key Beach
797 Reviews
Englewood, FL
Farnham, United...
Level Contributor
209 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: englewood versus Fort Myers Beach

Also close to Englewood is Gasparilla Island South beach being our all time favourite. Quite often deserted early morning, maybe not in high season tho'.

There is a toll across to the island currently $4.00 soon rising to $7.50.

The quaint town of Boca Grande is a great place just to amble around and have lunch.

Also there are many barrier islands and some deserted so a great way to spend half a day or full day is to hire a boat from one of the many marinas and go exploring.

A bit daunting to begin with if in-experienced as we were but easy to get the hang of it.

Have fun wherever you decide but of the two Englewood beats FMB but purely because I like my beaches with just sun sand and sea oats.

Lynne

Mentioned in this post
Englewood
Englewood
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Boca Grande
Boca Grande
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Englewood, Florida
Level Contributor
207 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: englewood versus Fort Myers Beach

If you want what is considered "old Florida" ...then Englewood is where to go. Less expensive, low crime rate a quieter town!

If you want more expenses, a more crowded beach, higher crime rate then Fort Myers is for you.

Not sure when you will be traveling but another thing to keep in mind is Spring Break...and Fort Myers is much more populated during this time than Englewood.

Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Englewood
Englewood
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Fort Myers Beach
Fort Myers Beach
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Get answers to your questions about Englewood