We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental warning

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
rental warning

Just a "heads up" for anyone out there renting a property through Manasota Key Realty. We booked a place for a week, a few months ago for a trip in January. We found it through VRBO/Home Away. We payed the deposit and thought we were all set, until we received an email from them saying our reservation had been canceled because they found a renter for the full month!! They were willing to put us up in a condo, but we had our hearts set on being on the beach in this unit. Since then I have discovered that they often cancel renters, sometimes just a few weeks before the scheduled trip.

We did find a place on the beach, booking with Sunshine Rentals www.sunshinerentals.net

Marg Johnson was sooo nice and accomodating and assured us she would not cancel us. She also doesn't charge any extra fees for cleaning, booking etc. Highly recommend her!!

Just wanted everyone to know about Manasota Key Realty so you wont be disappointed.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,391 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental warning

That is well out of order.

Glad you told us, and I won't rec them now. You just should not accept a rental if you wont' honor it. Not on (and I own).

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,105 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rental warning

I hope this is not a trend.......I think it is really unethical to destroy families vacation plans, for the sake of the almighty dollar.......

Englewood, Florida
Level Contributor
207 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental warning

So sorry to hear about your experience with MKR...I am a FULL TIME Englewood Resident since 1972. I am a local business man and well connected in town. If you have a specific question or concern private message me and I will be happy to assist.

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: rental warning

Thank you for the kind offer! We are so excited to visit your city! It sounds wonderful!!

Englewood, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: rental warning

After researching the sequence of events that took place which led to this negative review, we wanted to take this opportunity to defind our actions and our company. Our company has been in the area and working in the real estate/vacation rental business since 1980 and we strive to make every one of our guests happy as best we can. That being said, we do have to work within our contractual obligations to our owners who we are employed by. We absolutely do not have an office policy in place that we cancel our guests reservations. We do however, have the option in place to move our guests if necessary, of which they are made aware of when they sign the guest registration form. This is the last thing that we want to do and only do so when absolutely necessary or when requested by our owners to do so, as was the case in this circumstance. If it does become necessary, we always do our best to find a comparable property and give as much notice to our guests as we are given. The fees we charge such as cleaning and booking, are competitive with other agencies and are broken down individually so that our guests are aware of them rather than having them included in the rental rate. Security deposits are returned when due and taxes that are required are collected. We absolutely do not make moving our guests our standard operating procedure and the very few times that we have had to move a guest, we have had much success in accommodating them and maintained a positive relationship afterwards. We sincerely apologize that we were unable to make this guest happy but believe that we acted in the only way possible to fulfill our obligations to our owner/employer.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,391 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rental warning

Moving guests because you can make more money is unacceptable to most of us who rent (and some of us who own). Moving guests is acceptible for other reasons such as damage, death of the owner (property in probate), double booking by mistake etc. Sounds to me this may have been in the 'fine print'

To move a weekly guest, just because you can rent a month is while perhap legal, not moral. Just move the monthly people into the other unit? Or you could rent a week, but not specify exact property until a dew weeks out? As long as this was a known factor and discounted, then allocation on arrival would be acceptible.

If your owner insists on monthly rentals, dont rent individual weeks.

Good luck trying to convince renters, you haven't conviced me as an owner of your policy.

Chicago Burb
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rental warning

Thanks for the info GoodTimes! My husband and I have been looking at vrbo for January 2013. You can bet I'll be looking out for that rental company and I'll be reading all the fine print.

Definitely not a chance we would want to take. Glad you found another place.

Englewood, Florida
Level Contributor
207 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rental warning

Puss and Boots ...You might also check ...

www.vacationrentals.com

click on the florida portion of the map

then scroll down to "gulf coast south" ...in that grouping you will see Manasota Key listed with about 50 properties being marketed. These are not duplications of VRBO.

Hope this helps!

Springfield IL
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rental warning

If anyone is looking for a Great rental agency in the Englewood area you might wish to try TMI Vacations. We rented from TMI several times and Lesley Hare who owns the business is great. We ended up buying a house last year and have put it under TMI's management. I can't say enough good things about this company. Renters are treated great and any little problem is quickly taken care of.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,391 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rental warning

Glad you are happy with them spimack, but that smacks of advertising to me.

Get answers to your questions about Englewood
Recent Conversations