We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manasota Key or Gasparilla Island?

Birmingham, Alabama
9 posts
Save Topic
Manasota Key or Gasparilla Island?

Hello, looking to explore a new (to us) beach town this February with our daughter, age 3. The past two years we've been to both Sanibel/Captiva and Anna Maria. Enjoyed both, especially Anna Maria restaurants on the beach and the various galleries and shops. I'm looking now at either Manasota Key or Gasparilla Island/Boca Grande. I love the idea of renting a golf cart to get around Gasparilla but do want a place with a few kid-friendly restaurants to visit, soem shopping and live music ideally. Also would like a condo, suite or cottage on the beach for a 4-6 day stay (still in planning mode). Would appreciate insight on both islands and which we would likely enjoy. Many Thanks!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,119 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manasota Key or Gasparilla Island?

Well shopping can be done on Gasparilla, but the number of shops isn't large. And the big supermarket is the other side of the bridge ($6 toll). Manasota doens't have a town center as such, but there are a few shops and restaurants near the circle at Beach road.

But you will find Feb heavily booked everywhere, and 4-6 nights could be hard for rentals in the peak Season (I could rent Feb 100 times over I think) as most are a one week minimum. Look at Michael Saunders and manasota key realty for Englewood/manasota dont know who handles Gasparilla but google them and try gulfcoastrentals.com

You may just have to pick an island that has late availability.

Englewood, FL
Level Contributor
3 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manasota Key or Gasparilla Island?

Destination Expert is right. It will be all about where you can find a place to stay in February. Boca Grande is lovely, very easy to get around and has a couple of kid-friendly places to eat, but is very expensive. They have a really nice community center with a playground and a couple of places for live music. The shops are better on Boca than on Manasota Key but it won''t take more than a day to do it all. If you go to Manasota Key, you definitely want to be near the few restaurants. The other side is very quiet with zero for kids or entertainment. You can easily get off the island to plenty of other restaurants, parks etc. Good luck.

3. Re: Manasota Key or Gasparilla Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2014, 23:17
Get answers to your questions about Englewood